What Defines You?
by Bob Valleau

Natalie Nettles wrote an article for The Auburn Plainsman, Auburn University. She stated how technology is defining a new generation, and I couldn't agree more.

She said, in her introductory paragraph, "The Baby Boomers had their rock 'n' roll and rebellious attitudes. Generation X had their grunge music and lack of identity. The Millennial Generation, however, is setting themselves apart from previous generations by means of technology."

I'm a Baby Boomer -- a person who was born shortly after World War II, but I've never considered myself one. I've always tried to embrace some things from each generations' idealism and trendy ways. I've often wondered though: If a person does this, does that make him or her shiftless when it comes to their identity? In other words, is their identity as fluid as water in the ocean based upon the latest style or fad?

I suppose one could answer a resounding, "Yes," if one were to base their identity on changing times and trends. However, my identity is not founded in a generation's philosophical inclinations or technological advances. It's deeper than that . . . and spiritual. Therefore, I feel I can appreciate some things that each generation has to offer and, at the same time, not lose who I really am in the process. Unfortunately, some cannot do this because they have no concept of their true self.

So, if we were sitting around and chatting about "generational identities," I would probably pose this question: "Forget about what defines your generation. What defines you as a person?"

Bob Valleau has over 30 years of writing experience for the Christian market. He was once named Christian Writer of the Year (San Antonio, Texas) by the American Christian Writers Association. He is the author of four books. 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print