Death With Honor
by PamFord Davis

Death need not always catch us by surprise. Many wisely make plans and pre-arrangements. It sets their minds at peace and also lifts a burden off the shoulders of those left behind. At the time of grief they are freed from making difficult choices.


The patriarch Jacob made his desires very clear. "Then he charged them and said to them: I am to be gathered to my people; bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, in the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought in the field of Ephron the Hittite as a possession for a burial place. There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife, there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife, and there I buried Leah. The field and the cave that is there were purchased from the sons of Heth. And when Jacob had finished commanding his sons, he drew his feet up into the bed and breathed his last, and was gathered to his people (Genesis 49:29-33 NKJ)."


We wish for our loved ones death with honor. Hospice is one way to see our wishes fulfilled. As we read the final events recorded in Jacob's life we are happy to learn he died peacefully in the presence of his sons. (Genesis 49:1-28) He spoke words of blessing and prophecy, and tied up all lose ends before his death. Finally he instructed them to bury him in the family cemetery. There may have not been a white picket fence or costly monuments; but those who preceded him in death were there; and he wanted to be laid to rest in their midst.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print