The Eyes Have It
by

In elementary school one day I was waiting to go home on my bus. I had to change buses at that time because I went to a private school. So the buses would pick us up, then go to the public middle school and we'd switch. I was waiting out on the playground for my last bus to come home when the wind really picked up and I got dust in my eye. I remember it pretty well to this day my hair blowing and all.

All the way home, my eye just watered and watered and I could not get the dust out of my eye at least it felt that way. It continued on that way until my dad got home from work and I was taken to the emergency room. Come to find out the dust particle had worked its way up under my eyelid and done a good job scratching up my eye! They removed it but I had to wear a patch for a few days to heal it up. That was very painful.

Again during my first year of my marriage, I had another eye incident. I was curling my hair one morning and the curling iron got hung up in my hair and kind of flopped down. It's kind of hard to explain but I'm sure those of you who've dropped curling irons before understand how something like that can happen. I thought I bonked my eye and again my eye really started to water just like when you poke it before you blink your eyelash. I laid down on my couch for awhile and just let my eyes close and water, thinking the watering would calm down after a bit. It still hurt pretty good after awhile so I went back into the bathroom and looked into the mirror. I remember the panic I felt when I saw a white mark across my eyeball. I thought I'd damaged it forever! Somehow, I drove myself to the emergency room. (I don't recommend it but I had no one to call at that time). They told me I'd burnt my eye with the curling iron, which I guess is not that uncommon of an injury. Again, I had to wear an eye patch.

You can imagine how I am pretty protective of my eyes. To this day whenever the wind whips up I tend to look down. If I get something in my eye I tend to blink a lot and often. If my children injure their eyes I can be a little too concerned about lasting damage. Because I've hurt mine twice.

Luckily for me, God has looked out for me. And it's not gone unappreciated.

But it causes me to pause and think sometimes and remember to thank Him for my eyesight. Just as I do with my kidneys because I deal with kidney stones.

When did you last thank God for your kidneys or your eyes? How about your bladder, your spine, your heart, breasts, teeth, liver, arm, or even your toes? You know we often don't realize how much we are appreciative of each piece that makes up who we are until that part is injured or jeopardized.

Let's take a minute to thank God today for what He's given us. And let's try to remember to do it more often instead of waiting until we hurt ourselves, encounter illness, or see someone who reminds us that we have what they don't. And let's use what He's given us for His glory. Every last part.


~Dionna Sanchez is Founder of EmphasisOnMoms.com and freelance writes. She also blogs at http://beautyinthestorm.blogspot.com 
Contact her at [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print