Big Man
by PamFord Davis

Appearance means a great deal to most of us. Our first impressions of a person are determined by what we see and hear. If a person is pleasant to look at we enjoy being in their company. Quickly we scan their face, hair, and clothing, making a snap judgment. When time allows a conversation, our ears listen to their tone of voice; warmth is acceptable and conceit is rejected.


Even God's people can be easily swayed by appearance. The Israelites demanded a king and God sent Samuel to anoint His man chosen for the job. "And he (Kish) had a choice and handsome son whose name was Saul. There was not a more handsome person than he among the children of Israel. From his shoulders upward he was taller than any of the people (1 Samuel 9:2 KJV)." He did seem like a likely choice. Samuel later began his search. "But when they sought him, he could not be found. Therefore they inquired of the Lord further, Has the man come here yet? And the Lord answered, There he is, hidden among the equipment. So they ran and brought him from there; and when he stood among the people, he was taller than any of the people from his shoulders upward. And Samuel said to all the people, Do you see him whom the Lord has chosen, that there is no one like him among all the people? So all the people shouted and said, Long live the king (1 Samuel 10:21b-24 NKJ)!" The big man met their approval. As king he could have faced the giant Goliath in defense of Israel. The nation's future king, David did not have the appearance of a conqueror. He did have big faith and received the victory.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print