Adultery Is Spiritual Suicide
by Edward Mrkvicka

Recent surveys say 88% of Americans believe adultery is wrong. Yet 77% of marriages involve at least one adultery. As sad as this dichotomy is, it gets worse. 96% of those surveyed profess a belief in God. 70% are active church members, and 77% of those believe they are going to heaven. How can this be? How can people who believe in God, who know adultery is wrong, still believe they are going to spend eternity with their Savior regardless of their disobedient behavior?
The answer is simple. They have been deceived, either willingly or unwillingly, into believing a lie that allows them to act in disobedience while expecting the fruits of an obedient servant. But God, because He is just and righteous, cannot allow that to happen: "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;" (Hebrews 5:9). There is no author of salvation for the disobedient. And when you commit adultery you are being disobedient. "Thou shalt not commit adultery." (Exodus 20:14)
As bad as the act of adultery is, it brings with it other sins; e.g., a thousand forms of deception. And who is the father of deception? Satan. He is the one who wants us to believe that God's Word doesn't mean what it says. That a deal can be reached for us to live a profligate life that brings tears to God's eyes and still reap a heavenly reward. But such spiritual foolishness is inconsistent with His truth. "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Galatians 6:7)
God wants us to be obedient for many reasons, not the least of which is the high cost of adultery as it pertains not only to ourselves, but to others. Mainly, the children of divorce, which is the usual outcome of adultery. These kids suffer so many social, financial, physical, and spiritual maladies that they often spend the rest of their lives on a psychiatrist's couch trying to sort out their lost childhood. And their chances of a successful marriage are virtually non-existent, because they all too often follow the example of their failed parents.
There are so many evil facets of adultery, as Satan knows that if he can tempt one adult to disobey our Creator, he can often "capture" an entire family, sometimes two. All he need do is convince one person that he/she has the right to break their wedding vows. In Christian weddings this becomes even more critical, as we then not only break our promises to our spouse, we break our promise to God. And that is playing with fire. "When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay." (Ecclesiastes 5:4-5)
The Bible speaks frequently of the sin of adultery, but perhaps no one verse says as much as I Corinthians 6:9-10. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." Nothing could be clearer. If you're an adulterer you will not spend eternity in heaven.
So if you're thinking about committing adultery, don't. The cost to everyone, especially you, is just too high. If you're in an adulterous relationship, quit it. Now. As with all sin, adulterers must first admit it, and then quit it. Thank God you can be forgiven, but only if you repent and spend the rest of your life making right that which you have made wrong. Lastly, never forget the beautiful loving words of Jesus in Luke 15:7. "I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance."

Ed is a life-long Bible student, lay minister, retired bank president, and author of the award winning book, "The Prayer Promise of Christ."
ISBN: 978-1-61739-021-0
Web site: http://www.EdwardFMrkvickaJr.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print