Why You Don't Want A God You Can Completely Understand
by Greg Baker

Why would you want such a God? I read in the Book of Isaiah:

Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

According to these verses God's thoughts, God's methods are way beyond our own comprehension. Some people struggle with that. They want a God made in man's image instead of man made in God's image. Another passage that I enjoy is this one:

1 Corinthians 1:27-29 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.

There you have it. No one is going to be able to say, I got God all figured out. It's just not possible and why would you want it to be? Why would you want a God that is no larger than your capacity to understand?

I believe in a God and a Saviour that is vastly larger than my ability to comprehend and to fully imagine. If I could understand everything about God, Who God is, and why God does what he does, then I'd probably be God. And if that were true, we'd all be in a lot of trouble. No, I thank God that He is larger than my finite ability to comprehend. I thank God that He is vastly larger than anything I can imagine.

I don't want a small God. I don't want a God that can be contained within the confines of my own brain and imagination. I don't want to find an end to my God or my Saviour, Jesus Christ. I don't a God that can be quantified, digested, and distilled in the confines of man's inventions and imaginations.

I want a God where I am always learning about, Who is capable of surprising me at any time, any place, and in any way. When I pray I want my prayer to be heard by a God that is not limited to what I imagine is possible. I want the God that I have. I want the God of the Bible.

Why would you want anything less?

More at: http://articles.christianbaptists.com

Or http://www.fitlyspoken.org for books on communication and social skills in relationships! Specifically, our books 'Fitly Spoken' and 'Restoring a Fallen Christian'. 

For editing and ghostwriting services: http://www.affordablechristianediting.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print