Valentine's Day Folly
by Bob Valleau

I'm sure you've seen them: gigantic Valentine's Day cards that are supposed to represent how big someone's love is for another. I think these cards are purchased mostly by men -- especially husbands -- because they appeal to the size of their ego. The cards scream at a wife: "Look at me. I just spent $50 on this card with a cutesy saying. See how much I love you?"

Although most wives may be flattered by these kinds of cards, I feel they are unimpressed. I read somewhere that women have a more practical view of love. In their minds, they are always chanting a song sung by Janet Jackson, "What Have You Done For Me Lately?" This may include a laundry list of activities that a husband fails to do, like: pick up his clothes off the floor and place them in the hamper; put his dirty dishes in the dishwasher rather than in the sink for his wife to do later; be willing to watch the kids while his wife enjoys some down time.

I think buying these cards is a ridiculous gesture and a feeble attempt by husbands to demonstrate their undying love for their wives. They are a waste of money. The cardboard they are made from could best be used as a cover for a book.

Well, you get the picture. Now, please excuse me while I try to find enough stamps to mail something large I just bought at the store the other day.

Bob Valleau has over 30 years of writing experience for the Christian market. He was once named Christian Writer of the Year (San Antonio, Texas) by the American Christian Writers Association. He is the author of four books. 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print