Don't Sleep In The Subway
by PamFord Davis

Can you sleep while traveling by vehicle, train, plane, or ship? Some people drift off as soon as they close their eyes. Others arrive at their destination with blood-shot eyes and a head ache. Sleep eludes them until they are at home in the comfort of their own bed. In the past I could only rest or doze off briefly. Now, I can nod off during a brief day trip. I feel like I've been sedated. My eyes keep closing; and soon I'm asleep sitting up in my car seat.


Jonah boarded a ship, in an effort to distance himself from God and his commands. We can not out run or out maneuver the Lord. The prophet did not desire chit-chat with the crew. He isolated himself and fell asleep. God knew exactly where to find the runaway. He sent a violent storm to shake Jonah up. (Jonah 1:1-4) "The sailors were frightened, and they all started praying to their gods. They even threw the ship's cargo over-board to make the ship lighter. All this time, Jonah was down below deck, sound asleep. The ship's captain went to him and said, How can you sleep at a time like this? Get up and pray to your God! Maybe he will have pity on us and keep us from drowning (Jonah 1:5-6 CEV)."


The finger of blame pointed directly at Jonah. He had no doubt God created the storm. He coaxed the crew into throwing him over-board and the storm subsided. Any pre-school Sunday School class can give you the exciting climax: Jonah is swallowed by a great fish, prays like never before, is rejected by his form of transportation, and reaches his original destination of Nineveh. He reluctantly delivers God's message and has a pity party. If he could sleep in the storm tossed ship he could block out the sound of his convicting conscience.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print