The Power in Obedience
by Marie Grossett

Acts 5 Vs 29 'Peter and the other apostles replied, "We must obey God rather than men."
It is the will of God for us to be obedient to him, to obey whatever he tells us to. I'm not just talking about the instructions in the Bible. There are times when we have been praying to God about a situation and when we receive the answer it might not be what we have expected it to be and we end up doing things our own way. The results more than likely will end up disastrous.

For example, in the book of Genesis starting at Chapter 15 Abraham was concerned about who he would give his estate to as an inheritance. So he said to the Lord that he would leave his estate to his servant, the Lord told Abraham his servant will not be his heir but a son coming from his own body will be his heir. God already told Abraham that despite the fact he was old he actually was going to have a child. Maybe Abraham did not really comprehend what God was saying to him as he obeyed what his wife Sarah told him to do which was to sleep with his maidservant in order that they could have a child. However as I mentioned before when we end up doing things are own way rather than God's way the results more than likely will end up disastrous. In the end Sarah did not want this child that Abraham had with his maidservant and the maidservant and the child named Ishmeal had to leave.

There is a reason why I gave this particular overview is because sometimes we are more obedient to what other people tell us to do more than God. How many times has God told you or laid it on your heart that you're called for this ministry, or ring so, so, and so. Or you must or must not go there and we don't end up doing what he tells us to. Now when other people tell us to do something we normally end up doing what they have told us to do. But it is important to God that we do what he says as there is power in obeying God.
Why does God want us to be obedient to him? Well it is because we now belong to him, we are his children he knows the beginning and end of every situation. He created us so he knows us better than we know ourselves. Most large domestic appliances i.e. washing machines and dishwashers that we buy come with instructions, in order for us to follow as we need to know how the appliance works. When we read the instructions we don't question the inventors if the instructions that they put on the paper is correct we trust and obey that if we follow the instructions then the washing machine and the dishwasher will work.

However when it comes to God we start to question, 'Lord are you sure I have to do this,' 'Lord are you sure your telling me to do this,' or 'Lord why do I need to go there.' I'm not saying that we don't need to be careful about the voices that come to us, but the Lord does say my sheep know my voice. God will not leave you in confusion you will feel God's peace about the situation all you need to do is just obey whatever God is telling you and you must learn to develop trust with God just as you trust the instructions on a piece of paper that man has written so must we trust God when he is telling us to do something. Trust and Obedience go hand in hand they are like partners.


The New Choice English Dictionary published by Peter Haddock Publishing defines obedience as the condition of being obedient; observance of orders, instructions; respect for authority.
There are lots of people in the Bible who were disobedient to God, there were the Israelites, Saul, however one famous person mostly talked about who was disobedient to God was Jonah. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh to prophesy against it as their wickedness came up before the Lord. Now rather than doing what God said Jonah decided to go his own way. The consequences of this is that Jonah ended up for three days and night in the belly of a large fish and he had to end up repenting for being disobedient to God. The irony is Jonah ended up doing what God told him to do in the first place. Sometimes when we are disobedient to God it is because we do not know the outcome of the situation especially when it doesn't seem to make sense. However we must remember God has plans for us of good and not of evil. We must truly allow him to let his will be done in our lives.
Now there are a lot of advantages of being obedient and some of them are:
It teaches you to depend on God and not yourself.
Teaches you to trust God more, teaches you humility and to be submissive to our creator.
If you are obedient to God first then it will teach you to be obedient to whom God has put in authority over you in both work and personal situations.
Some of the disadvantages of being disobedient are:
It teaches you to become depend on yourself rather than God.
You will find it hard to submit to authority.
You become prideful and God hates pride
So children of God what's it going to be? Are you going to live as disobedient children to our heavenly father or obedient children? Remember God knows best it is either his way or no way. As the above scripture says we must obey God rather than men.

Marie Grossett aka Vanessa Grossett is a published Author, and has interviewed best selling and award winning Christian Authors.

She is a Literary Agent at The Authors Care Services ltd. www.theauthorscare.co.uk [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print