Is Tithing A Sin
by Annie Glasel

Don't you hate it when God-fearing Christians can disagree so passionately on an issue as insignificant as tithing?

The proponents of tithing quote Malachi and talk about how the storehouses of heaven will pour down. They firmly establish the principle on Abram who gave to Malchezedek. Most will call withholding tithe robbing God, not that they would ever judge you.

The opponents of tithing would tell you that Abraham, the new version of Abram and post covenant with God, never tithed. At least not recorded. Neither did Israel, who is Jacob after his own encounter with God. Some also point out that according to Mosaic law, a tithe is only a tithe if it is given to the temple AND the tithe is only exacted on the agricultural increase...in other words, not monetary gain but increase of the land yields and live stocks. In fact, since there is no longer a temple, anything given to a church would technically not be a tithe.

As for me, I've settled the matter this way. I really don't care. I am going to give the first 10% of what God has entrusted to me to manage as a symbol that God is first in my life. Do I know that 100% of what I have belongs to God. Sure. I am already a living sacrifice. But no one can see that except through my acts. So I give.

But I don't recommend giving to assuage guilt. God does not guilt. He does not need to guilt people into giving "Him" money. He owns the world.

He convicts. Conviction brings Godly sorrow, repentance and God always provides a way of redemption that releases the burden. Guilt on the other hand brings remorse and heavy burden that is used by the Enemy to shame us, to separate us from God.

And sure it bothers me when I see larger-than-life Christians wallowing in the riches of their income streams - seed moneys, book sales...etc. But you know what, it is really not my problem nor really up for me to judge them. I do not walk their walk. And I will not be standing in their place in heaven when they come face to face with Jesus. And God is so big that if some human misappropriate His funds...He can fix it His way.

Besides, God does not call being rich a sin. He blessed Abraham exceedingly abundantly. And that is Abraham's destiny and lot in life. Who am I to say that these uber wealthy Christians are not given their wealthy by the sovereign will of God for His glory and purpose.

(And admittedly, some of my attitude is tainted by envy, jealously and arrogance of thinking that my interpretation of the Bible is more accurate than theirs. I am pretty sure that there is not one person alive who is 100% perfect in the interpretation, understanding, application or reading of our Bibles. But I digress...)

I think those who are not giving is really missing out on one of the greatest experience of being a Christian. No doubt one of the most quoted verses in the Bible is "For God so loved the world, He GAVE..."

Tithing is not a prerequisite for heaven. Tithing is not a requirement to prove sanctification. Tithing certainly is not such an important issue that the Bible has dedicated a large portion to discussing it.

However, the Bible does talk about giving from a cheerful heart, to give as unto the Lord, to honor the Lord with all of our resources. Bible also has a lot to say about money, our relationship with money and our management of it. The Bible also repeatedly tell us to give all of ourselves to God.

I believe the Lord wants us to love by giving to others. Whether it is directly (or secretly) to someone in need, supporting a ministry/church laboring for the Lord or even a stranger that God suddenly put in front of you to see if you would obey His still small voice.

So call it tithing, call it giving. Call it "random acts of kindness," call it "building up treasures in heaven." Call it whatever you want, but do it - be a river of blessing and pass on what God has entrusted to you to bless those God has appointed to receive. Do it cheerfully. Do it willingly. We will all get our turn.

I've written to ease my pain; I've written to hear my voice; I've written for vanity; I've written for sanity; I've written for fun; I've written for laughs; I've written for me; I've written for money. But until I write for God, this talent is for naught.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print