Self Control Ever Thought Much About Your Mouth?
by Marijo Phelps

I have a new T-shirt! Actually this is one I first saw about 3 years ago in just the right color light sage green. The front looks embroidered and says "Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth".

In my walk with Jesus He and I have talked about many things. So many of the areas where I, and apparently many others who call themselves His, have problems deal with the mouth. Gossip, maybe even disguised as a prayer request, but I need to think about what is the actual intent of my heart in sharing this request. How many times do we speak before thinking. Overeating, OK now I would be accused of meddling, I think the Bible calls it gluttony and at times it describes me.

The good news is there is hope and I realize even in writing this piece that I have made some progress over the years.

There are promises in His word about our mouth:

I am the LORD your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt; Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it. (NKJV)

Exodus 4:12
Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say." (NKJV)

And challenges:

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. (NKJV)

And prayers:

Psalm 71:8
Let my mouth be filled with Your praise And with Your glory all the day. (NKJV)

Psalm 89:1
I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever; With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations.(NKJV)

We can choose to use our mouth to praise and pray and lift up His most incredible name. Yes, and even to eat reasonably. There I go meddling again.
In the meantime I will wear my new T-shirt and be reminded that His arm is indeed around my shoulders and, on occasion, His hand might find itself over my mouth.

Thank you Jesus.

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print