The Last Time
by PamFord Davis

Some people have zero tolerance for those who hurt them. Like a tyrant they demand absolute perfection. If someone crosses the line, offending them, they cross them off their acceptable list. Acquaintances, friends, even family members are no longer to be forgiven. No efforts to smooth things over will cause them to reconsider. The offender lost their chance the last time they hurt them.


The inquisitive Peter discussed the subject of forgiveness with Jesus, the great teacher. School is always in session. Take a front row seat. "Peter came up to the Lord and asked, How many times should I forgive someone who does something wrong to me? Is seven times enough? Jesus answered: Not just seven times, but seventy-seven times (Matthew 18: 21-22 CEV)." Be honest, how many of us would forgive seven times? Seventy-seven would be seen as ridiculous by observers. Why would we continue to forgive those who repeatedly hurt us?


Jesus used a story to explain His basis of forgiveness. (Verses 23-35) A man can not repay his large debt to the King. He will be sold into slavery along with his entire family. He gets on his knees begging for mercy. The ruler feels compassion, changes his mind and forgives the man. His debt is cleared and he is free to go. Walking away he meets a man owing him a small amount. He grabs him and demands payment. A plea for pity falls on deaf ears. He has the man thrown in jail. Word gets back to the king. He is chewed out royally. The king now showed no leniency. "That is how my Father in heaven will treat you, if you don't forgive each of my followers with all your heart (Matthew 18:35 CEV)." Forgive as we have been forgiven by God.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print