Flowers Sent Too Late or Maybe Just in Time
by Marijo Phelps

My closest friend wrote me a letter. Her teenage nephew has died suddenly, unexpectedly during an overseas trip. Her letter told me of his death and how she regretted the things she had never said to Ryan, things she thought but had never expressed to the person who needed to hear them most. Sort of like giving a corsage the day after the big dance, or perhaps even like sending flowers to a memorial service. The time was past and there was no going back.

She then went on to talk about our friendship and the little things I had said or done that had special meaning for her. I got tears and choked up. I had never guessed those were her feelings nor that a little comment I made way back had impacted her in that way.

My challenge to all of us is that we take time. Sit down, think of those in our lives who have impacted us, been there for us and helped us along life's road. If this was that very last time to say something to them, what would you like to communicate?

Maybe you could go to the local book and stationary store to get a box of cards, you know, the encouragement and friendship kind? Just think of those you assume know how you feel. They just might not, you know.

Sit down, write that person a note and share your heart. That's what writers do, isn't it, how much more important to share those thoughts and encouragements with close friends and family members. Give them a blessing. Give them a verbal bouquet. Winter has been here long enough, it is time for flowers even if it is only at the tip of your pen.

Hey, you could also get the real thing to go with your written sentiments, flowers to brighten their day. Dedicate a poem or short story to them if you aren't the kind who can tell it like it is. If you have a family member who is a "shut in" you could think about a box of cards that encourage. Sit, right now, and address the whole box. Write something special on each one, something you remember about them, some wisdom they may have shared, some character trait they modeled for you over the years and write the whole box to be mailed one a day for twelve days or however many cards there are in the box.

You have no idea how this could positively impact someone's life. I will never forget the comments Paula made in her letter to me on the occasion of her nephew's death. And to think that I might never have known what she felt and thought otherwise, if she hadn't taken that time of reflection.

We can all think of someone who we appreciate. Today is the day to let them know just how much! Don't wait, don't think you'll do it tomorrow but get busy and bless someone you love right now.

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print