Chronological order of the Prophetical Books of the Bible
by Robert Randle

ISAIAH
Judah and Jerusalem (1) in the days of Uzziah [Azariah] king of Judah (Cp. 2 Kings 14: 21; 15: 1-7), (3) *Jotham (Cp. 2 Kings 15: 7b, 32-38), (4) Ahaz (Cp. 2 Kings 16: 1-20), and
(5) Hezekiah (Cp. 2 Kings 18: 1-20: 21),* Kings of Judah.

JEREMIAH
In the days of (6) Josiah (Cp. 2 Kings 22: 1-23: 30), (7) Jehoiakim [Eliakim] (Cp. 2 Kings 23: 34-24: 6a), (9) Zedekiah [Mattaniah] (Cp. 2 Kings 24: 17-25: 21; esp. 25: 1-7), until the carrying away of Jerusalem captive [into Babylon].

EZEKIEL
In the fifth year of King (8a) Jehoiachin's capture [in Babylon] (Cp. 24: 6b-16; 25: 27-30).

DANIEL
In the third year of the reign of (8) Jehoiachin [in Babylon] (Cp. 24: 6b-16).

HOSEA
(1) In the days of Uzziah king of Judah (Cp. 2 Kings 14: 21; 15: 1-7), (3) *Jotham (Cp. 2 Kings 15: 7b, 32-38), (4) Ahaz (Cp. 2 Kings 16: 1-20), (5) Hezekiah (Cp. 2 Kings 18: 1-20: 21),* in the days of (2) Jeroboam II the son of Joash, King of Israel (Cp. 2 Kings 14: 23-29).

JOEL
Not written during the reign of any particular king nor does the book address a specific set of circumstances.

AMOS
(1) In the days of Uzziah King of Judea (Cp. 2 Kings 14: 21; 15: 1-7), and in the days of (2) Jeroboam II the son of Joash King of Israel (Cp. 2 Kings 14: 23-29); two years before the earthquake.

OBADIAH
The prophet pronounces God's judgment against Edom.

JONAH
The prophet sent to pronounce God's judgment against Nineveh.

MICAH
Micah of Moresheth in the days of (3) *Jotham (Cp. 2 Kings 15: 7b, 32-38), (4) Ahaz (Cp. 2 Kings 16: 1-20), and (5) Hezekiah (Cp. 2 Kings 18: 1-20: 21),* Kings of Judah.

NAHUM
Nahum the Elkoshite prophesies against Nineveh.

HABAKKUK
Not written during the reign of any particular king nor does the book address a specific set of circumstances.

ZEPHANIAH
Zephaniah the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amaziah, the son of Hezekiah; in the days of (6) Josiah (Cp. 2 Kings 22: 1-23: 30) the son of Amon, King of Judah.

HAGGAI
In the second year of King Darius, in the sixth month, first day of the month: To Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, Governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest.

NOTE: It must be remembered that Darius was made King over the Chaldeans and Persia and not over the Medes or the entire kingdom of Babylon (Cp. Daniel 9: 1; 11: 1; Ezra 4: 24; 6: 14b).

ZECHARIAH
In the eighth month of the second year of Darius (Cp. Haggai 2: 10; Ezra 4: 24; 6: 14b).

NOTE: It must be remembered that Darius was made King over the Chaldeans and Persia and not over the Medes or the entire kingdom of Babylon (Cp. Daniel 9: 1; 11: 1).

MALACHI
Not written during the reign of any particular king nor does the book address a specific set of circumstances.

COMMENTARY: The period of Prophesying, starting in chronological order according to the reign of the Kings of Israel and Judah [King Uzziah or Azariah thru Zedekiah or Mattaniah], are the Prophets: Isaiah, Amos, Hosea, Micah, Jeremiah, Zephaniah, Daniel, Ezekiel, 2 Jeremiah (??), Haggai, and Zechariah; covering a span of approximately 244 to 283 years. In order to arrive at a better understanding of prophetic fulfillment, especially when it comes to "Messianic" expectations, it might be prudent as well as vital, to consider this ordering of historic events; whether pre-exilic, exilic, or post-exilic, among the Israelites (Hebrews, Jews, etc.).

It is interesting that of the 9 kings that are mentioned, Jeroboam II is the ONLY non-Judean one; being the son of Joash. Not only that, but things really started to unravel socially, politically, religiously for the Israelites whafter the death of King Josiah. Pharaoh Necho of Egypt imprisoned Jehozadak son of Josiah in Hamath, where he later died. Then he appoints another son of Josiah, Eliakim [Jehoiakim] to rule in Jerusalem. Jehoiakim and the region became a vassal state to Babylon and King Nebuchadnezzar. Jehoiakim rebelled against Babylon's authority and Judea was destroyed. Jehoiakim died in the land but his son Jehoiachin and the royal family as well as the servants and many of the inhabitants were taken captive to Babylon. Nebuchadnezzar renamed Zedekiah was actually King Jehoiachin's uncle, Mattaniah. Zedekiah was the last recorded Judean king and he rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar, too; for which he paid an awful price. His sons were killed right before his eyes, and then he was blinded and taken in bronze fetters to Babylon


Robert Randle
776 Commerce St. #B-11
Tacoma, WA 98402
March 28, 2010
[email protected]

[email protected]
http://choirboy51.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print