THE HOUSE GUEST Part One
by Paul Curtis

THE HOUSE GUEST

Chestnut Cottage is a rather quaint Tudor thatched dwelling with its white walls and black oak timbers, its rose covered lych-gate and a wishing well in the garden.
It is very much the stereo typical chocolate box image of an English country cottage.
Its a fairly remote cottage situated at the end of Vicarage Lane some half a mile from the church and about a mile from Appleby village itself.
My name is Harry Tyler and I lived in the cottage for more than twenty years and by the time summer came to an end I had been in residence another eight months after I died.
Not in a physical sense, my body did not lie undiscovered, decomposing in my armchair; I was found and dealt with in the proper manner.
At the time I was happy enough to die, though I took no hand in it I hasten to add I died of natural causes.
The last year of my life was a mere existence after the death of my dear wife Rose.
We had no children of our own and what other family that were left we were not close to.
Rose and I had been happily married for 47 years and we retired to Appleby village and we had such a nice life together.
She was my conduit to the world; she was the interface that connected me to people.
After she was gone it was like being stranded in a foreign land without a translator
To find myself alone in the world at the age of seventy four filled me with dread so I withdrew into the safety of the cottage and became very reclusive and only ventured out when I had to.
So when I died I thought I would be reunited with my Rose again. But I remained in the cottage and she was nowhere to be found.
I spent every day confined to the cottage and garden the same prison I confined myself to before I died.
In many ways it was no difference to when I was alive except I didnt have to eat or drink.
Nor did I have to wash or comb my hair or trim my beard and of course I didnt feel anything.
I was exactly as I was when I died, a fat, old man with white hair and a beard wearing the same clothes I had on when I breathed my last.
I hoped to God I didnt have to spend eternity wearing that awful red jumper, I hated that jumper and the only reason I was wearing it at all was that my favourite one was still damp and I didnt want to catch a chill.
If I had realised I was going to pop my clogs anyway I would have worn the other one.
So there I stood a fat white bearded old man wearing a red sweater that made me look like an off duty Santa Claus.
I didnt understand why I was still there; I didnt want to be there I wanted to be with Rose.
I thought there must be something I had to do in order that I could move on but at that time I had no idea what that something might have been.

On the first of September I thought today is not like any other day, today things are going to change.
I was standing in what used to be the bedroom Rose and I shared and I was looking out through the window at the unfolding scene below.
A removal truck had just come to a stop in the lane and a small blue car parked a suitable distance behind it.
The driver of the of the car slowly got out and walked towards the gate pausing briefly to speak to the removal men who were lowering the tail board, she walked through the gate and down the long winding path.
She was an attractive young woman late twenties or probably early thirties, petite with shoulder length black hair that shimmered with a hint of blue like a ravens wing and she walked awkwardly with a stick in her right hand.
I recognised her at once as one of fifteen or so prospective buyers who viewed the cottage during the summer.
I thought to myself that it would be nice to have company even if there would be no conversation it would be a bit like watching a soap opera on TV.
I would have preferred it to be a man; after all spying on a young woman would make me feel a bit like a peeping Tom but beggars cant be choosers.
Then as I watched her slow progress down the path something terrible occurred to me what if she was one of those awful naturist types who go about the house naked, where would I look?
Then I laughed at the stupid question I had asked myself it was obvious where I would look I might be dead but I was still a man.

So I watched her discreetly over the next week or so as she went about her unpacking and arranging her furniture.
Due to my gentlemanly disposition I declared her bedroom and the bathroom as off limits.
As I was in my ninth month of limbo I was desperate for knowledge of the wider world and I was bitterly disappointed that she didnt have a television I really missed the TV and she didnt listen to the radio either,
I had hoped she might at least take a daily paper but no the only paper to come through the door was the local freebie.
She did have a computer and I did look-over her shoulder while she was using it, very rude I know and under normal circumstance I would never have done such a thing but I thought to myself, needs must.
By the end of September the computer had taught me a lot, I had established that her name was Juliana Molesworth and she was a workaholic who lived on the computer, in fact the computer was her life, it was her work, she shopped on it, she banked on it, it was her library, it was her music collection and it was her only friend.
Apart from her visits for physiotherapy she never went out and her only visitors were delivery people, oh and a hairdresser.
This young woman was making the same mistake that I had she was cutting herself off from the world and making the cottage her prison.
Though I didnt know why she was withdrawing from the world I now knew what I had to do to move on I had to save Juliana from my own fate.

I know that strictly speaking as I was dead I couldnt actually live with her but after living with Juliana for five weeks it had become clear that she had gone to Chestnut Cottage to cut herself off from the world and I knew from bitter experience that course of action was pure folly.
My job was to show her the error of her ways but I had absolutely know idea how I would achieve that.
For a start I was dead and invisible although I could make myself visible without any difficulty the problem was not if I could make her see me but when and how would she take it.
If she didnt freak out at having a resident ghost then she almost certainly would when she discovered she had been sharing the cottage with an old man who could make himself invisible.
I decided for the mean time to just maintain a watching brief just to keep and eye on her until I could figure out the best course of action.
I did allow her the odd glimpse, a reflection in a mirror, a shape in the corner of her eye just to test her nerve but she seemed un-phased by it or would dismiss it with a shrug.
She seemed at least on the surface anyway to be quite a strong character she was clearly in a lot of pain from her hip and she took strong pain killers for it.
She got around some of the day without her stick but towards the end of the day she couldnt walk without it and she would rub her hip and you could see the pain etched into her face.
Juliana had a pretty face when it wasnt screwed up in pain, with hypnotic green eyes and a sensual mouth.
There were some faint scars on her chin and some more on her forehead .but they did not detract from her beauty.
It was getting towards the end of the month and I was out in the garden, it had been a glorious late summer / early autumn day, the sun would have felt quite warm had I been able to feel it, and I was watching the sun set as I had so many times with Rose.
I missed her so much and I was feeling sorry for myself so I stayed until the sun disappeared behind the trees then I went back inside.
Juliana was sat perched on the edge of an armchair and in front of her on the coffee table was a large glass of wine and a pile of pain killers.
I feared the worse as I sat in the empty armchair opposite her, to my mind booze and pills meant only one thing.
Her hand was shaking as it moved towards the tablets.
Dont do it I said
What?
She looked around the room.
Who said that?
I did I said as I appeared
She went stiff and white and said
Where did you come from? How did you get in here?
Get out before I call the police
Then she grabbed the empty pill bottle and through it at me.
It went through my chest hitting the back of the chair before bouncing back on to the floor ending up by her feet.
She had managed to pull herself to her feet and was wielding her cane
But when she saw the pill bottle come to a stop by her feet she flopped down into the chair and said.
Damn Ive taken too many and now Im hallucinating
Youre not hallucinating I said quietly Im really here
No, No, thats not possible She said and drained the wine glass then instantly refilled it.
Ive over dosed She was trembling and she held out a hand in front of her and watched it shake.
Oh God now Ive got the tremors She closed her eyes tight for half a minute then opened them and stared at me.
And youre still here
Youre really not hallucinating I said quietly Im really here
Please dont take your own life
She took a double take and was suddenly calmer as she considered what I had said.
Take my own life? she said quizzically
Then she glanced down at the pile of pills and the glass of wine.
Im not going to kill myself
I looked at her and nodded and said good but I didnt believe her and she could tell.
I tipped them out to count them because my leg is hurting so bad I thought I must have missed taking one, but I havent damn it and I cant have another one for two hours She said impatiently
That made sense to me, and then I felt foolish and I had exposed myself for nothing.
I can see you believe me now She said So now tell me who you are or what you are?
My name is Harry Tyler
I know that name this was your house wasnt it?
Yes
But youre dead, you died here She took a large gulp of wine Are you a ghost or an angel?
I think Im just a ghost, I havent been anywhere to become an angel
So why are you here? Why havent you gone to where dead people go?
She drained her glass and filled it again quickly.
I not really sure I lied
There was silence for a few moments before she asked
Is there a heaven?
I dont know if there is a heaven or not, Ive always believed that there was
I paused for a moment
My wife Rose died in this cottage and she has obviously gone somewhere
God how many people have died here? Is it cursed or something?
She had another glug of wine.
Then a look of panic came over her face.
Have you been here all the time, Ever since I moved in I mean?
Then she flushed deep red.
You havent been letching at me in the bath?
I laughed and said.
No its alright dont worry, I havent been letching at you even though you are a very attractive young woman
She looked doubtful. So I continued.
I am painfully aware that this is not my home anymore and as such there are areas that I have made off limits; I am a very discreet ghost
She sighed and looked reassured.
We sat in silence for a while then she fell asleep in the armchair.

For the next two days I didnt show myself to her partly because I thought it might be better for her to digest the knowledge of my existence for a while before I spoke to her again and partly because I was angry at myself for misreading the situation the previous evening and alerting her to my presence unnecessarily.
I had acted on the spur of the moment but in truth it hadnt upset my plans in anyway chiefly because I didnt have a plan to upset.
Of course there was always the possibility she might think she had imagined the whole thing as a result of the wine and painkillers.
I looked in on her from time to time and apart from the obvious signs of a hangover and her limp she seemed ok.
Although she did tend to suddenly look over her shoulder for no apparent reason.

Three days after, for want of a better phrase, I exposed myself to Juliana was, it was one of those wonderful early autumn days that lifts your spirits but can also take you by surprise when you step out into it as the sun can deceive you into thinking the summer hasnt quite surrendered and then the bitter October wind stings you.
I couldnt tell which it might be as it looked like it might be quite warm but I couldnt tell firstly as I was inside looking out and secondly because I was dead and couldnt feel anything.
Juliana had been upstairs dressing as it was one of her physio days and she was just hobbling her way downstairs and I was beginning to think that she had indeed passed off our encounter as an hallucination but as she picked up her car keys and opened the front door she called back behind her with out turning around.
Bye Harry
I didnt reply because it caught me by surprise
But I dont think she was looking for an answer though it was difficult to tell as there was no feeling behind the words.
Was it a Bye Harry see you later or Bye Harry I cant live in a house with a ghost?
Or perhaps Bye Harry are you really there?
She was gone all day and I was beginning to think I had scared her away as it was unusual for her to be quite so late and it had been dark for some time when her car pulled up outside the cottage.
It was a little after seven when she came in through the door her face was tired and strained and she moved uncomfortably.
I had seen that pained look before in the weeks I had been observing her.
It was as a result of her physiotherapy sessions where they worked her hard and she suffered for it, but it was working she was getting better.
I had seen the change in her over the weeks and she was getting better becoming stronger and less reliant on her stick but her sessions left her exhausted and in a lot of pain.
She moved slowly over to the armchair and collapsed into it, after a few moments she rummaged in her bag and brought out a bottle of water then she reached onto the table and picked up her pills, her hand was shaking as she opened the bottle, she put one in her mouth and took a long drink of water then she leaned back and sighed.
She closed her eyes and was drifting off to sleep.
I sat in the chair opposite her and spoke to her.
Juliana!
She didnt respond.
Juliana!
What do you want? she said without opening her eyes. And dont call me Juliana, only my Mother calls me Juliana
What should I call you then?
She opened her eyes and looked straight at me.
Julie is fine, but never Jules I hate that
Ok I said
She closed her eyes again.
Julie
What? She responded impatiently.
You need to go to bed
I can sleep here, its fine now leave me alone
Julie you need to go to bed
Leave me alone or Ill call Ghostbusters and theyll come and Hoover you up
They dont exist I said
Nor do you she replied
But Im here though, and Im not going to shut up until you go to bed
She opened one eye.
Thats really unkind she said with surprise.
Its for your own good I said sagely
She looked unconvinced but struggled to her feet muttering under her breath.
Then she started slowly towards the stairs.
I felt guilty because it was clearly painful for her to walk but I knew it would be so much better for her to get a good rest in bed.
I wished I could help her but I was unable to, I hadnt mastered any of the physical stuff when I was in the cottage on my own it didnt seem worth training myself to open a door when it was easier to walk through it.
Since I had had a house guest or perhaps landlady would be more precise as I was actually the house guest I had been practising with some small success but propelling a person, even a small person, up a flight of stairs was beyond my capabilities.
I cant believe that Im being haunted by Caspers Granddad and he is making me do this She said as she struggled up the stairs.
As she reached the top she paused briefly to catch her breath then she headed for her room.
Tomorrow Im calling an exorcist she shouted.
A few minutes later all was silent and in an instant I left the sitting room and transported myself to her bedroom.
It was the first time Id been upstairs since she moved in and she had made the room very nice.
She was lying on her back fully clothed and sleeping peacefully on her bed.
On the trunk at the foot of her bed was a throw which with a great deal of effort I managed to cover the lower half of her with it and I was just about to continue when her hand reached down and pulled it the rest of the way up and she turned onto her side with the throw wrapped round her shoulders.
That left me with the simple task of flicking the light switch something that I had mastered.

The next day was a dull and dreary early October day and it was raining hard, the rain beating against the window glass like someone was throwing handfuls of gravel.
Julie didnt come downstairs until 11 oclock, I had heard her moving about upstairs from about ten then I could hear the bath running so after more than twelve hours sleep and a hot bath she made her way down the stairs in a good deal less pain than her ascent the night before.
She was bright and breezy and had real vitality about her such as I had not seen in her before.
She was so alive, so vibrant, she was smiling!
Harry? she called as she headed for the kitchen.
I said nothing.
Harry? She called again as she entered the kitchen
Where are you?
I appeared suddenly in front of her.
Oh She exclaimed and jumped then she laughed.
Im here I said Whats all the noise about?
Its enough to wake the dead I said and smiled.
Yes very funny She was smiling too.
I studied her face it was a very pretty face when you removed the pain that was normally etched into it, what a difference from the night before.
It was nice to see the beauty of the person when the bitterness and pain were removed or at least masked temporarily.
The girl before me today was nothing like the one I had been observing for the past month.
It was clearly only a type of euphoria which would undoubtedly wear off.
I hated you last night She said looking straight into my eyes Making me climb those stairs
But today I feel the best Ive felt since before the accident
She had not mentioned the accident before.
I could kiss you she continued.
Well that would be lovely but there is nothing to kiss, youd fall straight through me and head butt the cooker
She blew me a kiss instead.
Im glad you are feeling better
I know that it wont last all day but for now I feel terrific
Youll be dancing by Christmas I said
Dont spoil it by talking about Christmas I hate Christmas
Why?
I will tell you another time I dont want anything to spoil my mood

The pain did return later that day though not as severe and the next morning the bitterness was back and for the rest of the month she did battle with her demons,
Julie had good days and bad days but over all the demons won.
She still kept herself to herself only leaving the house for physio appointments, which were paying dividends, and her only visitors were delivering one thing or another.
The majority of her time was spent on the computer which she used for her work, something involving pages and pages of gobbledygook, and as her window on the world, a world in which she did not have to participate but could merely be a spectator.
Unless she called on me I chose my moments to appear trying to gauge the right time in between her black moods.
It was while Julie was on the computer, on one of her good days that I chose to show myself.
She was ordering her groceries online when I dropped in.
Dont forget the sweets for Halloween I said
Oh God not Halloween She replied.
Dont tell me you hate Halloween as well
Of course I hate Halloween, why wouldnt I, all those ghastly trick or treaters begging door to door
She was bordering on rant mode and I was beginning to think I had picked the wrong time to call.
Then there are the implied threats of violence and vandalism
I looked at her and raised my eyebrows and she stopped and laughed
Youre such a happy soul I said
Well why do you like it then?
I dont really
So why do you want me to buy sweets? Did Rose like it is that why?
Neither Rose nor I were fans of Halloween before we moved to Appleby but it was just part of living in the village.
The thing about Rose is that she was a community person and being part of the community was important to her.
We liked the way it was done, it was so different from our past experience, all the children would meet at the church hall and would go round in small groups each group being accompanied by adults then they would all go back to the village hall and have a party with all the traditional Halloween games and there were prizes for the best costumes.
No not exactly I didnt elaborate.
Youre so odd She said and turned back towards her computer.
I was mean to them last year I blurted.
Who?
The children, I wasnt very nice to them I looked down at the floor
I think I made one little girl cry
Oh
I feel ashamed of my behaviour, Rose would have been so mad
Well theres nothing you can do about it now She said.
Hopefully the kids will remember their bad experience and not come knocking this year, so no sweets required
She punctuated the end of the sentence with an Oliver Hardy style nod, then she smiled and got up and headed towards the bathroom.
I moved over to the computer I looked at the screen and observed that she was at the check out.
Due to much practise, after all, its not as if I have anything else to do, I had mastered moving and manipulating things over the preceding weeks.
So I sat down and took hold of the mouse, I quickly returned to where Julie had been shopping and found a large tub of Halloween sweets and clicked quantity required 2 and then add to basket, then returned her to the check out just as I heard the toilet flush.
Then I went and sat down again feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was not totally unfamiliar with computers but I had never shopped on line but I had watched Julie enough times to pick up what to do.
When she returned she completed her shopping transaction and was none the wiser.

The next day when the shopping arrived, the driver unloaded the bags onto the step and Julie signed for the delivery and the driver left.
It was only after she had carried the bags into the kitchen and began to unpack them that she noticed the 2 large tubs of Halloween candy.
HARRY! she shouted and thumped one of the tubs onto the counter.
HARRY!
You bellowed milady
Was this you? she said pointing at the sweets.
You ordered them after all I said acting surprised Thats really sweet
No I did NOT She corrected me.
Well it wasnt me I said I wouldnt know how, you must have done it subconsciously
I am not the sort of person who would buy sweets for the little..
I interrupted her
Well obviously subconsciously youre a very nice person And disappeared.

I stayed out of her way for the next couple of days and I spent my time practising.
I had mastered the fine manipulations such as flicking switches, unfolding a handkerchief and picking up a pen.
I could even write though my handwriting was still a bit shaky.
What I wasnt very good at was moving large or heavy objects so I was in the back garden trying to move the wheelbarrow.
Unfortunately when I eventually succeeded in moving it I managed to frighten a passing dog walker who was startled by the sight of a wheelbarrow moving along the path under its own power.
So I went indoors, I found Julie was sat in her chair reading some documents, I was considering whether it was safe to appear when I noticed the tubs of sweets were stood on a chair next to the door in readiness for the evenings visitors.
I knew that beneath that thick veneer of bitterness and cynicism there resided a good human being.
I deduced that the fact the sweets were now sitting on a chair and not in the dustbin meant that she was in one of her brighter moods.
I decided I would appear but that I wouldnt mention the sweets just to be on the safe side.
Hello
She looks up from her papers then set them on the table in front of her.
So youve decided to show yourself
What do you mean? Ive been busy I said feigning an indignant attitude.
Just because Im dead doesnt mean I dont have demands on my time
Yes I saw you playing with wheelbarrow
So did Mary Rudd I said sheepishly
Whos Mary Rudd?
Retired postmistress
And she saw you? She asked smiling.
No she saw a self propelled wheelbarrow; shes probably having a large gin to recover as we speak
She was laughing now.
Has anyone else seen you? Julie asked.
No and I only revealed myself to you because.
You thought I was going to top myself
Yes
I hope you think better of me now?
I nodded.
I do have low moments, and the world is a shitty place, but on the whole I prefer life
I wish youd start living it then
What do you mean?
If you prefer life why dont you go out into the world and live it.
Youre just jealous that Im still alive and not dead like you She said viciously
No youre not dead youre alive but youre not living
You live your life though a computer screen I continued
You never meet people; you never interact with other human beings, you have everything delivered to your door
She was about to interrupt but I pressed on before she had the chance.
And if you could cut your own hair you would never see anyone at all
I have physio she corrected me
And what happens when you dont need that anymore?
She snatched up her papers and scowled.
I dont need life tips from a ghost she spat out the words like venom.
Then she turned her back on me.
Please dont do what I did, dont imprison yourself in this cottage
I pleaded but she ignored me, she was angry with me but not as angry as I was at myself. I blew it I pushed to hard and she pushed back.
I could have got my point across with more subtlety, I was making progress but now Id gone backwards.

I was trapped in the cottage and its environs, I was earth bound because I shut myself away to wallow in self pity after the death of my wife Rose.
I had come to the conclusion that I must help another person in order to move on and rejoin my Rose.
It would have been easier if I had done it while I was still alive I could have gone off and sought out someone to help, but as I was dead I had to wait for someone to come to me.
But then if I had lived out my last months in the world in the same way as I lived the rest of my life I wouldnt have been in the mess I was in.
Or maybe this was how it was meant to be, it was my destiny to help someone, Which is where Julie came in, she had come to the cottage to escape the world.
At that moment I didnt know why and I would need to know that before I could help her and I was determined to help her whether she liked it or not.
But to find out what I needed to know I needed to be on good terms with her which was not helped by my clumsy handling of the situation.
So it was with some trepidation, after our angry exchange, that I went into the sitting room later in the day.
I feared she might take out the anger she felt towards me and channel it at the innocent revellers.
To be on the safe side I remained invisible until I had assessed the lay of the land.
I half expect to see Julie sitting in a rocking chair swigging from a whisky bottle and
Catapulting sweets at the trick or treaters heads.
But she was humming, I hadnt witnessed her humming before, she did impatient tapping of her fingers, she did grinding her teeth but I had never witnessed humming.
Humming was a little unnerving however I took a gamble that it was safe so I materialized.
Youre humming I said
She jumped, I had startled her and she was clearly flustered, then her face went scarlet.
No Im not she said indignantly.
You were humming, I heard you
What you heard was me clearing my throat Julie said without conviction so she changed the subject.
Anyway where have you been, have you been keeping out of my way
I thought it advisable
Before she had chance to comment she was alerted to approach of trick or treaters coming down the long winding path.
At this time of the day Julie would normally have to employ her stick to move with any kind of speed around the house but I noticed it was leant discretely against the wall behind the door out of sight of anyone who might be standing on the step if the door was open.
She pulled the curtain back a couple of inches and peered out.
Theyre coming, what do I do? she asked urgently
Well I began.
Oh come on, you got me into this mess
Calm down youll have a stroke I said
Julie took a deep breath and waited for me to speak.
All the children will have a bag for their sweets I told her.
Yes, yes she said impatiently.
Well you put a small handful of sweets into each bag but dont be to generous to early or you wont have enough to go round everyone
Ok she said and nodded.
But first you have to open the door I said inclining my head towards the closed door.
Oh God yes she laughed nervously that would help
Julie opened the door and was met with a chorus of TRICK OR TREAT from a small group of excited witches, warlocks, ghosts and ghouls.
Wow look at you all she said What brilliant costumes
Ok whos first? she asked as she picked up one of the sweet tubs and scooped up a handful.
At the back of the group keeping order was a tall dark haired man, wearing a flat cap and leather jacket, Julie caught his eye briefly and smiled and he smiled back, then carried on but she kept glancing in his direction, he was in his thirties she estimated.
Soon she had deposited a handful of sweets into every bag and the group moved back up the path.
Goodbye Miss Molesworth the tall man said and smiled.
She smiled back and then looked self consciously in my direction.
Despite herself she was still smiling as she shut the door.
You didnt smile at the children did you I asked
Youll scar them for life
Oh and which poor child was it that you made cry she retorted
Or was it someone else you were smiling at?
Julie blushed deeply just as the door bell rang.
Saved by the bell I said
Julie opened the door and repeated the exercise, and then another three times until the sweet tubs were empty and all the village children had had their share.
She closed the door and reached for her cane.
Im exhausted
You enjoyed it though?
She gave me a stern sideways glance and I could see pain in her features.
Ask me later after Ive had a drink
Then with a bottle of wine and a glass she hobbled towards her armchair.
Will you join me? She asked smiling Oh I forgot you cant
Oh thats cruel
After her first glass of wine she began to relax and after the second she had lowered her guard.
You had a good time didnt you? I ventured.
Ok yes I enjoyed it though Ill deny it tomorrow
And the smile?
I admit he was very handsome, for a yokel
His name is Paul Warwick and hes not so much a yokel more a country squire
Really She said with disinterest
So which of the little darlings were his children?
None of them I answered Hes not married
OH! she exclaimed then replaced it with a rather muted oh
After another glass I thought it was safe to raise the subject of this afternoons exchange of views.
Am I forgiven? I asked.
What for? She slurred
It became apparent I had left it one glass to late for a sensible conversation I had forgotten to take into account that she hadnt eaten since lunch.
This afternoon
Of course, you spoke very wisdomous words
Widomous?
Yes you are very wisdomly she said as she leant forward to raise her glass to me and slopping half of it on the table
I think you mean wise
Well I was close she almost said slopping more wine this time down her blouse.
Time to get you to bed I think
You cheeky old ghost you She said trying to get out of the chair.
Once she managed to get vertical her bad leg gave way and I had to catch her before she hit the floor.
It was a good job I had been practising otherwise I would never have been able to help her it would have appeared as a very comical scene as I had a firm hold on Julie yet when she tried to hold onto me her hands kept going through me.
Youre a difficult man to get to grips with Harry she remarked with a puzzled expression on her face.
Well you concentrate on staying upright and I will propel you up stairs to bed
Ok
So with her tongue sticking out the side of her mouth and one eye closed tight shut she managed to adopt a stance which kept her more or less upright.
I then gave her instructions Left, Right, Left Right until we had made the journey up to her room then I guided her onto her bed.
I hope youre going to behave like a gentleman she said and smiled still with one eye shut tight.
Youre quite safe, Im dead remember I replied as I covered her.
Thats the story of my life She said
What is?
Trying to raise the dead in the bedroom this caused her to explode with a laugh so dirty it wouldnt have been out of place in a Carry On film.
She was still chuckling when I turned out the light.
Good night Julie
Night Harry

The next morning I was sat in the kitchen reading the local newspaper, when she walked in, surprisingly bright though she was walking quite stiffly and she was a little shamefaced.
Good morning Julie and how are we this morning?
Im fine she said shortly then she added.
Was I very embarrassing last night?
Not very I replied.
Oh God, I was embarrassing though?
You were very funny it was nice to see you happy
Thanks to you She said quietly.
.I beg your pardon? I looked up from the paper quiet shocked.
But she was already on her way out the door for her physio appointment.

It was late afternoon when she returned and she was moving only a little more stiffly than she had been when she left that morning.
Didnt you go to physio? I asked
Yes I did and it was the best session Ive had She replied I think Im turning the corner at last
Excellent
Good news and bad news from the doctor though
Oh?
The good news is hes changed my medication which is stronger but I only need to take as and when needed
And the bad news?
Strictly no alcohol with these ones She said holding up an innocuous looking brown bottle.
A small price to pay though I said encouragingly
Thats easily said by someone who cant hold their drink she said then laughed like a drain.
Her mirth was interrupted by a knock at the door.
Quick hide She said
Ok I said jumping up.
Wait a minute I dont have to hide Im a ghost, Im invisible
Julie looked at me and put one finger up to her lips indicating I should shut up even though she was the only one who could hear me, then she open the door.
When the door opened it revealed a very wet Paul Warwick.
Oh look its the yokel I said
Hello Miss Molesworth the yokel said
Please call me Julie and do come in out of the rain
Thank you
He stepped in and Julie closed the door.
Hes dripping on your carpet
I hope Im not disturbing you Paul said.
No not at all She replied
Good, its just I thought I could hear voices before
That was probably the radio She lied
Good he said unconvinced.
Quick change the subject I suggested.
Can I offer you a hot drink?
No thank you I cant stop Im afraid, I just called to see if you were aware of the November 5th bonfire party?
No I wasnt Julie answered
Well we run a coach from the church hall over to Little Trotwood every year; they have an organised display, would you be interested?
Thats very kind of you but
Go on say yes I urged
my leg isnt really up to it
Liar
. Its not good in the damp weather
Thats a shame Paul said sincerely Its always a very good display and they have the best hog roast in the county
Thank you anyway Julie added
If you change your mind just give me a call He said reaching into his coat and bringing out a card which he handed to her.
I will
She opened the door again and Paul stepped out into the rain again.
No problem, bye
Good bye and thanks again Julie said closing the door.
Coward I said after she had shut the door.
I dont like fireworks thats all she said pulling a face.
Coward
Im not a coward She replied indignantly.
.What else do you call it? Hes attracted to you and you to him
Nonsense Julie said clearly flustered
And even if there were any attraction I dont need anyone in my life
Everyone needs someone
Rubbish, in the end people always let you down
You cant tar everyone with the same brush I said
I dont need anyone Harry, Im perfectly happy on my own
Pauls a good man
It doesnt matter how they start out in the end they always let you down, trust me
I started to speak
Harry lets just agree to disagree shall we?
I knew I was fighting a losing battle so meekly I said Ok
Good now Im off to have a bath

Despite my losing the battle of the bonfire night party I knew that the war was far from lost and that I had made great progress and what was now more important than anything else was to pick very carefully the battles I chose to fight.
A victory however small was still a victory and therefore was invaluable.
So during the month I chipped away at the immovable object that was Julie in small subtle ways and I felt I was making some progress but as well as I felt I was doing I couldnt quantify it.
I couldnt measure my success unless I could get Julie and Paul in the same place at the same time.
I had absolutely no idea how I could manufacture a circumstance that would bring the two of them together and I was left with the feeling that it would take divine intervention to get them together and as it turned out I was right.


I am a fifty something family man with a passion for writing and I draw inspiration from those around me.
paul.curtis1956 @ btinternet.com
http://www.dreamagic.com/poetry/poetry.html
http://www.peculiar-poetry.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print