Scarlet Ribbons
by PamFord Davis

God often chooses to work through the least likely people. We look at a civic leader or charismatic speaker and conclude they would be a real asset to the church. The Lord may find pride or a lack of love within their hearts, and look elsewhere. To our surprise He calls His next leader from the ghetto or behind prison bars. His qualifications do not always line up with ours. He looks for a humble person, willing to follow His direction.


Children love the story of Jericho. The hero Joshua led God's people around the city, and the walls came tumbling down! Before that dramatic day the Lord prearranged the scene. (Joshua 2:1-21) Joshua sent spies into Jericho to learn as much as they could about the cities areas of strength and weakness. They found protection within the house of a harlot named Rahab. She sent search parties on a wild-goose-chase and then spoke boldly to the spies.


She spoke truth. "for the Lord your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath (Joshua 2:11b NKJ)." She begged them to spare her life as well of those in her family. They promised her protection, and instructed her to leave a scarlet chord hanging from her window. (Verse 18- 20) That would mark the house for the invading party.


The day of attack arrived. Joshua gave instructions to go to Rahab's house and lead all outside to safety. (Joshua 6:22-23) A scarlet chord of faith led to her deliverance. It symbolizes the sacrificial blood of Christ which weaves through out the scriptures. Military heroes proudly wear ribbons of distinction in honor of their brave service to their country. I treasure scarlet ribbons of faith.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print