The Dangers of Following Your Own Heart
by Greg Baker

The humanist religion, and I believe it is a religion, is based almost completely on the idea of following your own heart. It has pervaded almost every level of society from movies to politics and even religion. The idea is that our own conscious, our own heart, is the best judge of right and wrong in the world, that no authority can actually dictate to you what is right and what is wrong. The lyrics of one rock song say, "how can it be so wrong when it feels so good!". This is nothing but the core of the humanist religion.

The Bible tells us in Proverbs 28:26 "He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered." In Jeremiah 17:9 we find that the heart is deceitful above ALL things.

Thus the contrast is clear. While the humanist religion says that your heart is the best judge of right and wrong, the Bible tells us that it is the worst judge of right and wrong. The two viewpoints are diametrically opposed to one another. In fact, they are antithesis of one another. You cannot hold to both.

Unfortunately, it has penetrated even into our Churches as well. We say things such as, "I feel led," or even saying, "I have peace about it," as if declaring our emotions and feelings are the obvious revealing of God's will. We allow our feelings, our heart, to dictate to us what we believe to be the will of God. We even go so far as to justify sin by saying, "The Holy Spirit hasn't convicted me about that," as if the written command in the Bible is not enough.

If everyone followed their own heart, we would have anarchy. We aren't born with the natural instinct to do right. That is a learned behaviour. We are born with the natural instinct of 'me first'. No one taught you how to be selfish, prideful, arrogant, to steal, to lie, to manipulate other's. We do these things naturally.

No, we are constantly warned by our parents not to be selfish, to listen, to be good, to behave, to be nice, and to share. So if we followed our hearts, we would often as not do things completely wrong or that are born out of self interest.

Too often we have gotten ourselves into much trouble because we trusted our feelings instead of principles in life. You felt that you deserve more than you got, so you acted on it. That is problematic to say the least. It's time that we didn't trust our hearts so much and followed basic principles of right and wrong. We are in a constant battle with our selfish nature and this pride and ego can't be tamed and rendered harmless. You can't trust yourself to put aside your own interests and make a decision purely on right and wrong. You have to consciously make that effort.

If you listened to your heart, however, you'd more often than not just do what you think is best for you.


More at: http://articles.christianbaptists.com

Or http://www.fitlyspoken.org for books on communication and social skills in relationships! Specifically, our books 'Fitly Spoken' and 'Restoring a Fallen Christian'. 

For editing and ghostwriting services: http://www.affordablechristianediting.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print