Don't Store Up Treasure in Earth
by Marijo Phelps

I am writing this one so we can ponder along together. I was thinking about the stock market crash not too many months back when most of those invested in it lost 1/3 to or more of their investments. I am thinking from a Biblical perspective about what we know.

Matthew 6:19-20 (New King James Version)

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven


19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
We have already read the final chapter and know there will be one world government and one monetary system which probably means that our US dollar will be worthless, especially since they are printing it so fast and there is no gold or anything valuable to back it up.

So, the interesting idea which popped into my head is why not take what amount we have and give to missions, God's work, the spreading of the gospel now, while it is still worth something.

God provided manna in the wilderness. He provided food for Elijah at the Brook Cherith.

1 Kings 17:1-5 (New King James Version)

1 Kings 17

Elijah Proclaims a Drought

1 And Elijah the Tishbite, of the inhabitants of Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, except at my word."2 Then the word of the LORD came to him, saying, 3 "Get away from here and turn eastward, and hide by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan. 4 And it will be that you shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there." 5 So he went and did according to the word of the LORD, for he went and stayed by the Brook Cherith, which flows into the Jordan.

So is it too much of a leap to trust Him to provide our needs while we take what we do have and entrust it to Him, partner with Him in spreading the Gospel to all nations?

Whew. That was a thought that brought a smile to my face, then a knot in my stomach and trembling to my hands.

My greatest gifting side kicked in, you know, the GREAT WHAT-IFer. I know, when I "what if" it shows my lack of faith, trust, yieldedness, peace, giving up "control". Like I said, it is probably my greatest "gift". OK what I really mean is my greatest challenge.

Mick and I have many friends in ministry. We know who they are and what they are doing and how they are touching many. Our Youth With A Mission friends and the many internationals I am blessed to call friend from my over 9 years working at Every Home for Christ. We know people personally working with and sharing the Lord in practical ways with children all over the world, people in Muslim countries, children delivered from prostitution, adults who have no work and are taught how to grow food, raise animals or do a small business. The opportunities abound.

One of the greatest joys in my whole life was being able to pray over some inherited money and see where the Lord wanted it to go. To bless those who were "full time" working for Jesus in countries all over the world, including the US. We have actually become a great mission field in our nation.

BUT who doesn't save for retirement? Who thinks social security is, well, secure? Never mind that Mick and I totally trusted the Lord with finances while we did short term missionary work. I recall a time when I didn't even have a quarter to make a reverse the charger phone call. Yet there was no lack. God provided abundantly in the most incredible and creative ways.

Lord, is this really You laying this on my heart? Could it be possible while our money still has value to spend it hilariously for Your kingdom business? Could we really turn loose and depend upon You?

So I take my wild and crazy idea to my dear, sweet husband who loves Jesus and has walked many of the same paths filled with provision and miracles that I have over the years.

"Jo, we already give enough" was his initial response.

Now mine is to pray and seek the Lord and if it is really Him and His will for us, He will speak to Mick's heart. This has definitely happened in the past and it spares up both from the "dripping wife" routine. What, you don't know about that one? It really is in there:

Proverbs 27:14-16 (New King James Version)

14 He who blesses his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning,
It will be counted a curse to him. 15 A continual dripping on a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike; 16 Whoever restrains her restrains the wind, and grasps oil with his right hand.

So while I am praying I thought I would toss this idea out to you. What do you think? Do you think God is able to take care all of our needs through His riches in glory? Do you think this might be a most incredible investment? Investment in the eternal rather than getting, accumulating and buying more "stuff" here on earth? Do you think it might be a way to reach out to those suffering and less fortunate and be the Lord Jesus' Christ hands reached out and His arms extended?

What have I learned over the years about God's provision? You simply cannot out give the Lord. Mick and I have proved this over and over. He is faithful and provides and blesses in so many ways.

We look at the recent loss in the market and it hasn't all come back, has it? and jus think what could have been done if that had been KINGDOM invested before it was lost.

I know, some of you are going to think I am meddling once again. Actually I am think that is becoming my new gifting rather than "what-if-ing". Not a bad trade off is it? GRIN

If you don't know the Lord Jesus as your Savior you probably already think I an nuts by definition and that's OK, we can, once again, agree to disagree.

So what do you all think?

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print