He arose the Third Day according to the Scriptures
by Robert Randle

There is almost unanimous agreement among Christian believers that the LORD was crucified, buried, and arose from the grave after three days, but is this period of time specifically prophesied in the Scriptures ["TANAKH"]? Jesus [Yeshua] did however, make several references to His disciples about His suffering, death, and that He would be raised on the 'third' day (Cp. Matthew 16: 21; 17: 22; Mark 8: 31; 10: 33-34; Luke 9: 22, 44; 18: 31-33, 24: 46).

Some passages in the Old Testament that refer to a SUFFERING SERVANT or SHEPHERD, who is tortured, abandoned, and put to death; such as in Isaiah 50: 6; 52: 13-14; 53: 1-12; Psalms 22: 1, 6-8, 11-19. The Apostle Paul [Rav Shaul] writes in 1 Corinthians 15: 3-4: For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received ["by revelation"-Galatians 1: 11-12]; that Christ [Mashiyach] died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the "third day" according to the Scriptures.

The Apostle Paul goes on to say that after receiving the spiritual or ascended Jesus [Yeshua] (Cp. Acts 9: 1-9), he went away into Arabia, returned to Damascus, then went up to Jerusalem three years later (Cp. Galatians 1: 17). The question is, what are the Scriptures Paul is referring to in his letter to the Corinthian believers in Yeshua (Jesus)? There are no direct Old Testament prophesies about a resurrection after three days, but a curious passage is found in Hosea 6: 2, which says: After two days He will revive us; On the "third day" He will raise us up that we might live in His sight. Since the letter to the Corinthian Church [assembly] is dated to be around 56 AD, the Gospel of MATTHEW is believed to have been written as early as 50 AD, it is possible that Paul could have used this book (scroll) as reference material or used the quotation from HOSEA.

Even Zechariah 12: 10b says, "Then they will look on Me whom they pierced (Cp. Revelation 1: 7). Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only [only-begotten] son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn [first-begotten]. This last reference does not, however, specifically point to a post-resurrection appearance after three days in the grave. Perhaps another possibility is that the "third day" has more significance than a literal three days but rather has some deeply spiritual and symbolic meaning which is related to one of the Jewish sacrificial offerings, foreshadowing the redemptive work of the coming LORD and Savior, as in the following:

Leviticus 7: 11, 15-18
This is the law of the sacrifice of peace offerings which he shall offer before the LORD. The flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offering for "thanksgiving" (Cp. Philippians 4: 6; Colossians 4: 2) shall be eaten the same day it is offered. He shall not leave any of it till the morning. But if the sacrifice of his offering is a vow or voluntary offering, it shall be eaten the same day that he offers his sacrifice; but on the next day the remainder of it shall also be eaten; the remainder of the flesh of the sacrifice on the third day must be burned with fire. And if any of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offering is eaten at all on the third day, it shall not be accepted, nor shall it be "imputed" to him; it shall be an abomination to him who offers it, and the person who eats it shall bear guilt [his iniquity, transgression or sin].

John 6: 51, 53
"I AM the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." Then Jesus [Yeshua] said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you."

Ephesians 5: 2
And walk in love, as Christ [Mashiyach] also has loved us and given Himself for us, an [peace??] offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

Psalms 32: 1-2a
"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not 'impute' iniquity [sin]."

2 Corinthians 5: 19a
That is, that God was in Christ [Mashiyach] reconciling the world to Himself, not "imputing" their trespasses to them. . .


Robert Randle
776 Commerce St. #B-11
Tacoma, WA 98402
April 29, 2010
[email protected]

[email protected]
http://choirboy51.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print