Glimpses of God-Who is He?
by beatrice ofwona

God is an infinite being and as such, we may never quite understand Him. We know, however, that He is beautiful beyond description and none can grasp His might because His activities are not confined to the church. By His mercies, He allowed a few people to see Him and Moses was one such person. In the book of Exodus 34:6 we see some of His qualities listed as compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness and many more.

We should be concerned about God enough to be involved in matters pertaining to Him because He revealed Himself first to the Israelites, then to the disciples and now to us in salvation through Christ, yet, even in our lifetime, we cannot fully describe Him. In studying His word we are led to Him and know of Him as our Creator, our Refuge, our Shepherd, our Father, our Redeemer, our Rock, our Provider, our Sustainer, the omnipotent, omniscient and a just God yet, we still cannot exhaust that which He is to us.

Firstly, we know that He is our Creator because we re told in the book of Genesis 1:1. It would be foolhardy to challenge His existence as we are warned in Psalms 14:1 and 53:1. Indeed we are privileged that despite His might, He finds in us a dwelling place.

Secondly, holiness is His signature. God cannot mix with sin. He is holy; morally pure and absolutely immaculate. In the book of Isaiah 6:1-3 and Revelation 4:8 we are told of the four living creatures who tirelessly proclaim His holiness over and over again.

Thirdly, God is just. Psalms 89:14 speaks of righteousness and justice being the foundation of His throne. We know that the greatest honor that God bestowed on mankind was to create him in His own image; but the greatest dishonor man has thrown in God's face is to create Him in his own image. If man truly knew who God is, he would approach Him with fear and trembling for His justice is swift.

Fourthly, God is good. He is morally perfect and His love and mercies endure forever as described in Psalms 136,106:1,107:1. In Hebrews 12:10-11, however, He disciplines us so that we may share in His holiness and righteousness. In the book of John 15 He prunes us so that we may be more fruitful. God is like the sun, never changing; although the clouds may obstruct the sun, it remains unmoved. In the same way, although circumstances may sometimes cloud our worship of Him, He remains unchanged, His love endures forever and we can always go back to Him with this knowledge.

Fifthly, God is our Father; He understands us and is concerned about us. Psalms 103:13 tells us that He has great compassion for us as His children. John 1:12 tells us however that those that believe in His name and receive Him are given the right to be called His children; those that do not (John 8:42-44) belong to the enemy. He is a Father who loves us enough to take two steps towards us when we take one towards Him.

God should be revered as should His house. Once upon a time man respected the house of the Lord but now some people even chew gum in it while others leave to answer their phone calls! What a wicked generation we have become!

Get in involved in knowing and loving your God with all your soul in the way that the Psalmist yearns for Him in Psalms 63:8 and 42:2. Know God by experience; by occasionally taking time out of life to seek Him out in spiritual retreats. If you hunger for Him and fill your mind with His presence, then in time your worship thoughts will be transformed. Daniel 11:32 speaks of a people who love their God as being empowered.

The work that we do, whether it be teaching or anything else, is a vocation and is usually different for those who know their God because through their jobs, they can bring other people to the knowledge of God through Jesus Christ.
(word count 689)

May these words (sermons), from various men and women of God be a blessing to all. 

contact:[email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print