Mama Sang A Song
by PamFord Davis

Do you remember the songs your mother sang to you during childhood years? They are likely buried deep within your memory to resurface at the most unexpected occasions. It may be a gentle harmony of a lullaby or toe tapping jig. Recalling the tunes will escort you back over decades. Did they know the powerful effect a song could have?

Mama sang a song with a very silly title. Jeepers-Creepers!

"Jeepers, creepers. Where'd ya get them peepers?
Jeepers, creepers. Where'd ya get them eyes?
Gosh oh, git up. How'd they get so lit up?
Gosh oh, gee oh. How'd they get that size?
Golly gee. When you turn them heaters on
Woe is me. Got to put my cheaters on

Jeepers, creepers. Where'd ya get them peepers?
Oh, those weepers. How they hypnotize.."
(Lyrics: Public Domain/ Johnny Mercer 1938)

Mom would sing the catchy lyrics looking into my eyes. It brings back happy memories. I made an interesting discovery a few years ago. The song was first sung to a horse. Louis Armstrong played the role of a race horse trainer in the movie Going Places. He sang the song in admiration to the horse named Jeepers Creepers. Happy Mother's Day Mom, tap your fingers on heaven's gates.


My father made a profession of faith in his 60's, while visiting our family in Southern California. After the church service he shared his feelings. We had stood side-by-side during the singing of morning hymns. Hearing my voice, I sounded like Grandma. It touched his heart and will always touch mine. Choose a favorite from your memory and sing along. "When you meet together, sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, as you praise the Lord with all your heart (Ephesians 5:19 CEV)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print