Of alignment and Stillness
by beatrice ofwona

What are we always looking for? Specifications now abound for almost everything; from the partner we want in dating columns, the kind of jobs we will be persuaded to apply for, the right houses with just the right kitchens, the right streets, right neighborhoods, right schools, the right house helps, right watchmen or maybe just the right gardeners to tend to our rightly planted geraniums. We also have the struggle with coveting, first admiring one thing then later on desiring another that we have seen in our friends' possession; these too coming in the form of cars, schools, clothing, spouses, children etc. We never quite seem to get what we want and this is because we are perennially opposed to what God might have in season for us.

We all have dreams and goals but unless we align ourselves with God's will for our lives, then our endeavors become unsatisfying even as we reach for the stars. When I therefore came across a book suggesting the same, I was prompted to read it. In the book, the purpose driven life, the author, Rick Warren, starts by telling us that you cannot discover the meaning of your life by starting with a focus on yourself; you must begin with God, your creator. In Him we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, our significance and our destiny. All the other paths lead to a dead end.

He continues to say that many people try to use God for their own self-actualization but this is a reversal of nature and therefore doomed to fail; the easiest way to discover the purpose of an invention is to ask the one who has created it. In the same way, for us to discover our true purpose in life, we need to ask the creator Himself, God, who will reveal to us our meaning and purpose. He concludes by saying that God is not only the starting point of life but also the source of it; He who knew and planned for us long before our existence without our input. Much as we may have a say on the choice of career, spouse or hobbies, we do not get to choose our purpose. And the purpose fits into a much larger, God-designed cosmic purpose

As I come to the end of this chapter, aptly put as the first, I sigh at how we all somehow hope to take the reigns of our lives and control then yet there remains the Almighty to who we should cast our eyes for answers; the one who is fully capable of in-filling us with His wisdom in order that we may know that no matter how much we may change specifications of what we want or what we hope to achieve, we remain empty and unfulfilled, especially if we are not walking in step with what He has purposed for our creation.

It becomes apparent that it takes concerted efforts and lessons in humility to be able to bow down to a God whom we do not see but whose presence we acknowledge in our conscience and in the creation around us. Alongside this is the lesson that we have to let go and let Him be. Purpose then becomes a reality when like little children we surrender the reigns of our lives to a higher authority who leads us to our destinies.

(word count-566)

May these words (sermons), from various men and women of God be a blessing to all. 

contact:[email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print