How Far Will You Go
by Jounda LaMance

How Far Will You Go

The day we live in is all about taking care of ourselves. While there is a level of truth to this, we must pay close attention that it doesnt seep into our Christian walk. Jesus spoke time after time about serving others and laying down our lives; following in His example by loving our brother and sister as He has loved us.

By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoever has this worlds goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? (I John 16-17 NKJV)

He laid down His life for us. We know the price He paid! We know the sacrifice He made! Now, we are being told we ought to lay down our lives for our brethren! What does that mean today? I dont see many crosses scattered around town and havent heard about any death by martyrdom recently, yet we are called to lay down our lives!

Perhaps it is in verse 17 where we get a clearer picture: whoever has the worlds goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

It is in the basic common mundane facets of life that we must pay attention too. If we are not careful, we become wrapped up in our own needs that we fail to see those around us who are hungry or cold. We can proudly say we have provided for our family and perhaps living well, yet no consideration is given to the brother or sister who sits by you service after service, who happens to be struggling to feed the family.

How far will you go?

I cannot tell you the level of sacrifice God will require of your life, but you can rest assured there is one required! Are you willing to give up time spent on yourself to comfort a grieving soul? Are you willing to let go of a luxury to see that a family is fed? Are you willing to stay up hours interceding for a lost loved one?

If asked today to go through a horrible ordeal one that would cause you great pain and sacrifice, so that one person would come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior - Would you be willing?


Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. (I John 3:13-15 NKJV)

Lord so often we dwell only on ourselves. We get caught up and wrapped up in life, and before we know it weve become self-centered. Lord, forgive us for our selfishness! Help us Lord not to pick and choose which scripture we follow, but to serve You by serving others! Give us the wisdom and strength to be willing to lay down our lives for those around us help us Lord to love our brothers and sisters not in lip service but in actions from our hearts! May Your love be like a river flowing through us today!

In Your Mighty Name, AMEN

Jounda LaMance September 25, 2006


My inspiration for writing is fueled by the incredible love I experience from our Lord.  II Corinthians 1:4 (The Message) He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print