Last Date
by PamFord Davis

Today is a red letter day in my scrapbook of memories. Forty-three years ago I went on my first date with a young man who became my leading man. Our first date would not be the last date! It is hard to believe that many years have passed since we first laid eyes on each other. I'm sure he doesn't remember the calendar date, but clearly recalls most details of our evening together.


The scriptures do not give us many examples of courtship. Most marriages were pre-arranged according to writings on Biblical history. We do have the privilege of a story with love at first sight. Jacob saw Rachel and his life would never be the same. (Genesis 29:1-18)


It can not be described as a romantic setting. They were at a well in the midst of a group of thirsty sheep. "As soon as Jacob saw his uncle Laban's daughter Rachel with his sheep, he went up and rolled the stone from the opening and watered his uncle Laban's sheep. Then Jacob kissed Rachel and wept loudly (Genesis 29:10-11HCS)."


The first kiss is always a tender moment. There is another golden thread in our passage. Jacob demonstrated not only affection, but also sacrificial love. He rose to the occasion and did her job of watering the flock. Their first date led to a life long commitment. That's the recipe for fulfillment and faithfulness.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print