The Make It Happen Moment ® Divine Direction
by Gary J. Borgstede

Quote: "Every path has a destination. Direction, not intention, determines destination!" - Andy Stanley

While on a mission trip to the Native American Indian islands of Alaska, I had the opportunity to go salmon fishing with Mr. Casey, one of the elders of the local church in Metlakatla. It was after our work was completed one afternoon that Mr. Casey offered to take me and a friend fishing with him before nightfall. So the three of us climbed into a 16-foot skiff and headed to another Alaskan island to fish along its shores in the Pacific Ocean. Unfortunately though, while we were trolling for salmon along the island shore, a murky ocean fog began to roll in toward us. Worried about the fog impairing our ability to get back home safely, I respectfully assured Mr. Casey that it was ok for us to abandon our fishing expedition and head back home; however, Mr. Casey didn't think much of the fog as it totally besieged us. Needless to say, I was not at all comfortable with the fog surrounding us, especially when I found out that we had no compass on board. Furthermore, with a smile on his face, Mr. Casey said that we had no need to worry because he often spent a night on the island when this happened and it wasn't too bad as long as the night temperature stayed above freezing and the bears stayed away. With a courteous nod, I chuckled at Mr. Casey's Alaskan humor and then began to seriously pray for our lives.

Once we caught enough fish, Mr. Casey decided that it was time for us to head back home across the open Alaskan waters in the dense fog. And as you might imagine, without a compass, I was certain that we were destined for a Gilligan's Island experience becoming totally lost in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in a 16-foot skiff on the longest boat ride of my life. But somehow, Mr. Casey, a lifetime experienced Native American Indian fisherman, navigated our little skiff back into the safe harbor of Metlakatla despite the endangering fog that seriously impaired our ability to see. Maybe it was the direction of the wind or the direction of the currents or the fact that Mr. Casey had traveled that path so many times he could do it with his eyes closed, I don't really know, but what I do know is that Mr. Casey followed the right path and it brought us home safely. Once we arrived at his home on the island, Mr. Casey told his wife the story about the fog and my worry about sleeping on the island. Laughing together with everyone on our team, Mr. Casey's wife affectionately labeled me an official "Greenhorn".

I share this true story because sometimes we may find ourselves lost in the fog of life, not knowing which direction we should take to get to where we want to be; however, if we allow the Word of God to be a light unto our path and a lamp unto our feet as the Bible declares in Psalm 119:105, we will have no need to worry about our path. In fact, Proverbs 3:6 states, "In all your ways acknowledge Him [Jehovah Rohi, the Lord my Shepherd] and He will direct your paths." By the truth of God's Word and the power of His Holy Spirit, we have a built-in compass leading and directing our steps even when the fog of life may seem so thick that all we can do is walk by faith and not by sight. Therefore, with a spirit of faith and humility, fear not when life is a challenge to navigate because the Bible promises in Psalm 37:23 that "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way."

The Make It Happen Professionalism Value: "Make It Happen" People Are Professionals!

Have a blessed "Make It Happen" day!

Written by Gary J. Borgstede
President and Founder of The Make It Happen Learning Institute - Reaching People, Unleashing The Extraordinary! www.makeithappenbooks.com

Edited by The Make It Happen Moment Editorial Team

The Make It Happen Moment Divine Direction Copyright 2010, The Make It Happen Learning Institute. You have permission to reprint The Make It Happen Moment Divine Direction, in its entirety only, and forward to your colleagues and friends, provided the copyright notice remains part of the reprint and transmission. All other rights reserved.

Gary J. Borgstede is the published author of the leadership books titled, The Make It Happen Journey and Kings Come Forth, as well as the faith-based leadership education blog at www.makeithappenmoment.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print