Celebrate Mother's Day During Church Services?
by Jeanne E Webster

copyright 2010 Jeanne E. Webster

Along with the nation, many Christian churches reserve the second Sunday of May to pay homage to mothers. Sermons focus on the attributes of motherhood; the oldest mother in attendance and perhaps the one with the most children receive floral bouquets, with every mother getting a single red or white carnation. Many folks honor their mothers by wearing boutonnires or corsages, white for deceased mothers, red for those still alive.

On the other hand, a few denominations hold to the mother's day church special as an unsuitable event. They say church services should be honoring God and Jesus Christ, not mothers. Some members believe that the celebration lays a negative blanket over mothers who, for various reasons, have lost their children or children who have lost their mothers. They feel mother's day should be celebrated privately within the realms of individual homes.

Other than the commandment to honor "thy father and thy mother", I find no basis for the church per se to set aside a special day to revere mothers. On the other hand, I believe holding our mothers in high esteem is a most proper thing to do, and if the congregation and pastor of churches decide to make a public display of this affectation, there is no sacrilege or harm being done.

What do you believe regarding this practice? It would be interesting to have some input here.

Shalom

(Check out my new E-Book ***
WOMEN OF THE BIBLE: A BRIEF BIOGRAPHICAL GENEALOGY*** http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=546)

Copyright Jeanne E. Webster

A published freelance writer,  editor/publisher of monthly newsletter for years.   [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print