Singing The Blues
by PamFord Davis

Are you a fan of Blues music? Do others hear you singing the blues? Depression gains a stronghold when fear and anxiety control us. Dark, foreboding clouds obscure the silver lining contained within. Each note we sound is sour and flat. Our tunes are not toe-tappers or sing along harmonies, and we should not expect a round of applause.


Reports reveal depression often encroaches upon us when we are weary, disappointed, hungry, or lonely. Personally, my two triggers are disappointment and fatigue. At the end of a long day when the blues show up as an uninvited guest, I remind myself I will feel better after a good night's sleep.


Prophet Elijah is a classic example of depression. (1 Kings 19:1-18) In faith in God, he confronted the worshipers of the false god Baal in a mountain top experience. Jehovah God gave a miraculous demonstration of his power through his servant, but fear of retribution by wicked Jezebel set Elijah off on a run for his life.


The man of faith wanted to die and fell asleep under a bush. An angel provided V.I.P. assistance to Elijah during his crisis situation. God's messenger awakened him and provided nourishment. After needed renewal, he walked for forty days and nights to Mount Horeb and sheltered in a cave. He met God in a personal encounter and began to sing the blues.


"Elijah answered, 'Lord God All-Powerful, I have always served you the best I can, but the Israelites have broken their agreement with you. They destroyed your altars and killed your prophets. I am the only prophet left alive, and now they are trying to kill me (1 Kings 19:10 ERV)!" God set the record straight; others remained faithful. He put Elijah back to work. Future rewards included a free ride to heaven. Swing Low Sweet Chariot would replace the blues!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print