Tragedy
by PamFord Davis

It is a great tragedy when a man or woman loses their one opportunity to experience fulfillment. The reasons are many; details are freely given. Often they explain a lack of money prevented them from reaching their goals. Health concerns hold back those desiring risky jobs. Some out of love for parents or children fore-go their desires in an effort to provide for those in their care.


A rich young ruler apparently preferred wealth over fulfillment and eternal security. "A certain ruler asked him, 'Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' 'Why do you call me good?' Jesus answered. 'No one is good-except God alone. You know the commandments: 'do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.' 'All these I have kept since I was a boy,' he said. When Jesus heard this, he said to him, 'You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.' When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth (Luke 18:18-23 NIV)."


Scriptures leave us at the pivotal point of this man's life. We are led to believe he walked away with earthly wealth but spiritually bankrupt. He could have followed in the footsteps of Christ and sent great rewards ahead to heaven. His life instead is used as a warning to avoid the tragedy of settling for money over discipleship and eternal life.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print