Life with Parrots
by Betty Castleberry

My husband and I share our home with three parrots. Our particular flock is made up of two macaws and a Timneh African grey. They each have a distinct personality.

Parrots are not cats or dogs. They are actually much more demanding, although some folks think birds are easy pets. They believe all that's required is to put them in their cages, toss them a few seeds, and they're set for the day. Not so. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Parrots are very intelligent, and can be very trying.

Parrots in general can be quite destructive. In fact, they are feathered buzz saws. They don't understand the difference between your grandmother's antique sideboard and their toys.

Toys, you say? Oh yes, parrots need toys, and a variety of them, to challenge their inquisitive minds. A macaw can make a pile of toothpicks out of a fifty dollar toy in a few hours.

They also need a healthy, varied diet. I've been known to drive eighty miles one way to buy our birds special food. In addition, I buy them fresh produce, and cook them special meals. My husband has looked in the refrigerator more than once, seen something tasty looking, and asked, "Is this for the birds, or for us?"

Our birds eat better than we do, or at least when they choose to actually eat their food and not toss it on the floor. It's not uncommon for me to scrub squashed peas off the kitchen tile. There have been times when they have redecorated my Navajo White walls with a few far-flung raspberries, too. They love nuts, and drop the shells on the floor. In short, birds are messy. By the way, have you ever walked barefoot over a sea of jagged almond shells? I believe I invented a new dance when I did just that.

Let's consider the noise factor. The talking is not a problem, although they seem to want to do that quite loudly while we are trying to watch TV or chat on the phone. They can also belt out a jungle scream that would put Tarzan to shame.

Parrots can bite. Hard. They can draw blood with the best of the vampires. Sometimes they bite just because you have not done something to their satisfaction.

So, given all these negatives, what kind of person in their right mind would choose a parrot as a pet? I carefully use the word "choose", because no one ever truly owns a parrot. But I digress.

Maybe that kind of person would be me. I'm not always in the best mood first thing in the morning. When I uncover the birds for the day, more often than not, I'm greeted with a chorus of cheery hellos. The macaws say, "I love you", and make kissing sounds. The grey can do a convincing rooster crow that is sure to wake almost anyone up. I really hope the neighbors don't call the police and report that we are keeping barnyard animals in town.

Recently, one morning, when I walked through the kitchen wearing my early morning frog-in-a-blender hair do, our oldest macaw said, "Hi pretty!"

That's why I choose parrots.

Copyright  2006 Betty Castleberry

~The author is a retired-early-by-choice RN who lives in Texas with her husband and three parrots.  She has a daughter, step daughter, and five grandchildren.  She is a published author, and loves to write for the Lord. Email her @
[email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print