Standing firm in the Lord, no matter what
by beatrice ofwona

A soldier is trained to fight; a soldier is trained to fight in war. When we get saved we become soldiers of defending the faith. 2Corinthians 7:11 gives insight of what happens to us but also encourages us to stand firm no matter what. Ephesians 6:12 tells us how our struggles are not against flesh and blood but against rulers of darkness. The Holy Spirit has put a weapon in our hands, his powerful presence, because in salvation we are in warfare. No matter what has happened to us or what we have been through, we serve the ever living God who exists all around us and who is constantly at work in laying a shield of protection over us.

We have been through many situations that only He has been able to see us through but which we hardly ever think about. For instance the teenagers in our homes have not fallen prey to the drugs that surround us or our marriages have survived despite all others around us failing or that we still live on despite the doctors having given reports years ago that predicted our immediate death. Regardless of what is going on around us, our backgrounds, or our circumstances we should remember that nothing is impossible with God. We may be hard pressed but we will certainly not be crushed because our God will come and lift us when we align ourselves to Him.

Do not own any sickness by referring to it as 'my disease' my diabetes' or 'my asthma', give it to God through Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all infirmities because He hears you and will carry the burden for you. When you are distracted, you become distressed; this then leads to your depression and possible death. However in Christ, you stand firm and whatever ails your heart cannot crush your hope which is always in him. Wake up and acknowledge God's plan for your life because in Him, you will certainly live and not die. Philippians 4:4 asks us to rejoice and rejoice always.
No matter what humiliations you may face in life, remember that Christ suffered through it all. They spat at his face and called him names before they crucified him but he remained quiet and took it all in for the sake of our salvation. What great love that was!

We too should remain calm in afflictions as disappointments will never cease. Romans 12:20 asks that we may not even take revenge but instead leave room for God's wrath. You are a child of the mighty God and He will never leave nor forsake you. But in everything, remember to give Him thanks and praise; do not be shaken. And knowing that your days are numbered should make you wake up to the fact that you should be spreading the Gospel rather than concentrating on your woes.

Do not lose heart no matter what happens. Always have faith and as Sherwood Eddy says, "Faith is not trying to believe something regardless of evidence; faith is daring something regardless of the consequences". This is how we should hold onto God's promises because only He knows us enough to know what is best for us.

Forget what is behind as Paul reminds the church in Philippians 3:13 and strain towards the goal. Do not waver because there is always hope. Do not lose this hope because you are a child of the most high God and your Daddy owns everything in this world.

How then do you arm yourself? Firstly, it is by training yourself. As a soldier, you should embrace vigilance and militancy in your dealings. Through the processes of incubation and gestation, we see that God always proves before He promotes. He is not looking for qualified people but rather those that He can work with through a restorative process during which time He prunes the tree so that it can bear fruit. He may anoint someone long before appointing him as He did for David but He will never go back on His word and on what He has purposed for your life. Saul threw the javelin at David, but he could not harm him whom God had anointed. Hang onto this faithfulness of God in obedience to His precepts and wait on Him; everything that He has promised shall come to pass. Stay vigilant.

Secondly, believe. There are times that all you have is the Lord's report on your situation. Despite Saul's javelin and reports from the Jebusites, David believed that what God had promised would come to pass; and it did. When you receive a promise from the Lord in prayer, in a dream, in a vision or in prophecy, possess it. Stand firm on the Lord's promises for you life and they shall all come to pass.

Always stand your ground and fight for Christ by defending the faith. This does not mean that you argue foolishly as this may produce quarrels as shared in 2Tim2:23, but rather do so with quietly with great wisdom, authority and power that have been given to you by the Holy Spirit.

Remember to hold onto God' promises for your life; in 1Tim1:18 Paul asks Timothy to hold to the prophecies made over him and to fight the good fight while holding onto faith and a good conscience. Through all the hardships that you are experiencing, do not be shaken, stand firm and always remember that the place of your greatest resistance will be the place of your greatest victory. James 1:2-4 asks you to consider it pure joy when you are being tested so that you may develop perseverance then maturity and finally completion. God is at work in you, stand firm in the faith!
(word count-960)

May these words (sermons), from various men and women of God be a blessing to all. 

contact:[email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print