Draw Closer to God
by Marijo Phelps

In our lives, there are acquaintances and there are friends. Some friends are casual and some friendships are deep, the "closer than a brother" type of friendships.

My question today to you and to myself is what kind of a friend so we consider the Lord Jesus Christ? If we have invited Him to be our Lord and Savior shouldn't we make Him a friend of the deepest kind? How do you go about that? What do you do with your very closest friend? You spend time sharing experiences and your hearts. You talk about deep rather than just surface things. You laugh and cry together. You don't always see eye to eye but love each other anyhow and appreciate the differences in your personalities and perspective.

With the Lord, the friendship involves all of the above and a great dose of listening. He is God. He created the universe, thought up all the created creatures and their intricate working parts. He "knit you together in your mother's womb". Who better to listen to and listen carefully as He has the answers to our lives:

Child, there is a specific purpose in that which you are going through right now.

Do not be dismayed or give up hope for I the Lord shall lift you up and you shall go forward in my name, for righteousness sake.

Draw nigh unto me. Get into my Word and My Word into you. Absorb and grow.

Be dependent on no one but Jesus. I wish to help you grow fruitfully fuller still. Lean on me daily. I love you.

In Psalm 73:28 the Bible speaks about it being good to draw near to God and put our trust in Him in order to declare all His works. David learned and applied a secret to relationship. He was known as "a man after God's own heart". Wouldn't that be a description we'd love to have also?

Hebrews 10:22 encourages us to draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. This word picture is painting someone who I would love to resemble more and more in my walk with the Lord Jesus, how about you?

In James 4:6 we are further encouraged to draw near to God and told He will draw near to us. We are exhorted to cleanse our hands (you sinners) and purify our hearts (you double minded). The best part about this is that God wouldn't ask us to do something impossible. So we know these things are possible and He is there to walk us through the process.

James 4:10 seems to have a key to the process stating that we are to humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift us up. Our action of humbling enables He wil knows us best to lift us up. What greater love and power. What a most incredible "Daddy".


Prayer: Dear Father, thank you that you lift us up. Help me to remain humble and to know what "humble yourself" means in a practical, everyday way. Help me to desire to feast on Your Word even more than to eat my daily food. Please turn my eyes ever towards You. AMEN

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print