Getting Out of the Boat, OK, But Walking on the Water?
by Marijo Phelps

Do you have summer time memories of taking that plunge from the row boat into the cool-cold lake waters? Burr, but it sure felt good to cool down. Can you imagine stepping out of that boat to try to walk on the water? Once again we think of Peter as a man after our hearts. He alone tried to follow Jesus, defy gravity and walk on that stormy water. Aren't you so glad that Peter is in the bible? Peter with his brashness, brazenness with his foot in his mouth, yet the one who tried to keep his eyes on Jesus to do the impossible at His lord's bidding.

If we listen very carefully maybe we can hear what else Jesus might have whispered to Peter's heart:

Seek Me and I hear your praises. Open your mouth and I will teach you what pleases Me.

Put your foot forward and I will give you strength, direction and freedom.

Have the desire, yield your will and I will fulfill, that my Son might be glorified in what and who you are becoming in His name.

Have the desire and I, your God, will implement it as you relax in Me. My strength takes over as you release your all to me.

Your work is ashes but My work in you through my Spirit brings forth life.

Psalm 18:16 speaks of God reaching down from on high, taking hold of us and drawing us out of deep waters.

Psalm 66:6 reminds us that nothing is difficult or impossible for our God saying he turned the sea into dry land, they passed through the waters on foot then this psalm encourages us "come let us rejoice in Him."

Our Jesus, the God of the impossible, and He does it just for us.

Psalm 106:11 speaks of the waters covering their adversaries, not one of them survived.

If the Lord is on your side, who can be against you?

In Matthew 14:28 we hear from Peter saying "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

We know the ending to this little anti-gravity stunt Peter got out of the boat in Matthew 14:30, and Peter walked on water. Not frozen water but the water of that lake! And he came towards Jesus. Then Peter saw the wind and the waves, he was afraid, and began to sink as he cried out "Lord, save me!"

Did Jesus choose this moment to teach Peter a good lesson and let him sink. Did he punish him for stepping out and then looking at circumstances? Did he get angry with Peter? He simply asked Peter why he doubted. To me this implies that Peter could have gone farther if he'd kept his eyes upon his Lord and Savior and not the wind and waves. Hopefully this will be remembered "next time", and there is always that next time, isn't there? Peter will be there to encourage us to keep on walking with our eyes on our Master.

Prayer: Thank you dear Jesus for Peter, who teaches us so much, thank you that he is included. He walked on water, he looked away and sank BUT JESUS you reached out, saved him AND us. AMEN

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print