Mr. Fix-It
by Allen Scott

My car broke down the other day. Water was running out all over the place and I was far from a mechanic to get help. Therefore I decided to fix it myself. I called the tow truck and had it towed home so I could work on it the following day.

I do not pride myself on being an auto mechanic. In fact my mechanical skills leaves a lot to be desired. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be of any real help. I can usually diagnose a problem but beyond that I am pretty inept at doing the actual repairs.

As I slept through the night thoughts of taking the car to the garage flooded through my mind. I really did not look forward to getting up the next day and tackling a job that I find repulsive at worst and distasteful at best. As the day unfolded I soon realized why I am not a mechanic by trade.

TAKING ON THE CHALLENGE

After jacking up the car and placing it on jack stands, spreading cardboard on the floor beneath the engine, I crawled under the vehicle to make an attempt to repair what I thought was a blown radiator hose. After 2 hours of grunting, growling, godless outbursts, blooded knuckles, water soaked clothing, and oil stained arms, hands, and face the job was finally completed. Or so I hoped.

It did not take long for me to realize that the problem still existed. As I poured water into the radiator it would run right out onto the ground. All that time and effort had been spent in vain. All my good intentions had been wasted on the project. My attempts at saving a few dollars only ended in costing me additional money. I still had to pay for repairs after buying all the tools and supplies for my failed attempt.

LESSONS LEARNED

I appreciate those who have the gift of auto repair, as well as those who have the gift and knowledge of healing. I admire those who have taken the time to hone their skills to professionally do what those of us who lack the skill and abilities can not.

FIX IT and fix it right.

I had learned my lesson. I knew I did not have the skills or knowledge to repair the car myself. I was more than willing to pay whatever it costs for the knowledge that the car is repaired and driveable again. There is was no price too high at this point because I wanted the job done well. ANYTHING to avoid doing it myself!


WHY WE RESIST HELP

Helicopter pilot Iain McConnell, along with the rest of his air station crew, was summoned at 4 a.m. on the morning of August 30, 2005, to the Coast Guard Aviation Training Center in Mobile, Alabama. The Center soon became one of the first bases of operations for Hurricane Katrina relief. McConnell and his crew were told to keep five H-60 helicopters airborne on missions at all times, around the clock.

The first airborne relief teams arrived in the affected areas before any news crews, and were completely unprepared for the devastation they saw. A train track running parallel to the ocean had been pushed inland 15 feet off its gravel bed. A houseboat was floating down U.S. Highway 90. The entire city of New Orleans stood under water.

McConnell's crew got right to work, airlifting stranded people from their rooftops and out of windows, and delivering them to the Superdome helipad. To their chagrin, however, they were only able to help a relatively few amount of survivors. In an interview, McConnell shared why:


On our first three missions, we saved the lives of 89 people, three dogs, and a cat. On the fourth mission, to our great frustration, we saved no onebut not for lack of trying. The dozens we attempted to rescue refused pickup!

Some people told us to simply bring them food and water. "You are trying to live in unhealthy conditions, and the water will stay high for a long time," we warned them. Still, they refused they did not know how desperate their situation was.


Jesus experienced this resistance to help when He was ministering in Jerusalem. Luke records His comments this way.


O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, putting to death the prophets, and stoning those who were sent to her! again and again would I have taken your children to myself, as a bird takes her young ones under her wings, but you would not! Luke 13:34 (BBE)


No matter how much Jesus desired to rescue those who were perishing, He was met with resistance. And like the hurricaine victims they refused to recieve the offer of help.

Like my failed attempts at auto repairs I have learned (the hard way) the value of God's word and help Jesus provides. Without Him I would be desperately lost without hope in this world.

It took a major spiritual disaster to get me to the point of hopelessness. Had I not met circumstances I could not fix I would not have looked for help in solving the problem.

If I truely believed I could fix my car I would not have sought the help of someone who could. Experience has taught me how badly I am in need of a mechanic if I plan on continuing to drive.

God's word has taught me how much I am in need of spiritual repairs if I plan on living eternally with Jesus. Have you had your checkup lately? Have you gone to the Master for your spiritual repairs? Or are you resisting His efforts to reach out and help you? We all need help along life's way.


Jesus said to them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor; those who are sick do. I've come to call sinners, not people who think they have God's approval." Mark 2:17 (GW)


Do not be like the Katrina victims who refused help when offered. Do not make the mistake like Jerusalem did in Jesus' day by refusing His offer of salvation. Seek out the closest soul filling station and get a complete overhaul today before it is too late.

http://eagleviews.org 

Random ramblings from your resident birdbrain. Waxing eloquent on things that I find interesting along the flight path. Spreading bird droppings along your spiritual pathways.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print