We Really Only Have Today
by Marijo Phelps


We think of the past and how we might have done something different. We think of the future and how it is going to be. Somehow through it all we sometimes miss the one day we can really do something about, today.

When we were younger, tomorrow seemed like it would never, ever come. Now the calendar pages seem to gleefully flip from month to month without taking time to consult us, don't they? But, right now, we have this very minute. What are we going to do with it? How are we going to spend it. A while back I was listening to God speaking to my heart about this very thing when I was fretting about the lack of a job after a long awaited move.
My daughter, did I not go before you and prepare the way for your recent move? Am I not even yet/still at work? There is a place for you (work) which will meet your needs and Mine in and through you.

Many times you get so caught up in focus on a week or two down the road that you forget now. NOW is all you have at any point in time. Enjoy NOW. Think of all the "nows" you've simply abided when you were missing out on great blessing by enjoying them in that moment. Only in retrospect did they become precious.

I want you to realize the value of each day, just where you're finding yourself. I AM that you might be. Learn this, learn it well. Leave me tomorrow and forging through the wilderness to get there. You burden too much. Rest in Me. Selah.

In 2 Corinthians 6:2 we are given some incredible wisdom in one, simple verse: "For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." (NIV)

In Deuteronomy 11:13 the Lord God addresses "today" and encourages us to obey the commands he is giving us today to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all our heart and soul.

His focus is on today. It continues to be on "today" is Psalm 95:7-8 stating "he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under His care. Today, if you will hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

Notice it says if you will hear His voice and exhorts us not to harden our hearts. There are those choices again, the choice to listen to God and to not harden our hearts. You might get the idea that we are stubborn and rebellious. We do have a choice and we can choose not to be. Sounds like a good choice to me but it isn't always that easy, is it?

Psalm 118:24 is speaking of today without even mentioning the word saying this is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. Not tomorrow nor yesterday but be glad in today. It is really quite freeing when you think about that, isn't it?

Prayer: Dear Jesus, we aren't promised anything more than right now, today. Help us to make the most of TODAY. Help us to live each day as if it were our last on this earth. Help us to walk in your footsteps and abide in Your plans for us! It is the most incredible place to be. AMEN

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.


About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print