EDNOS - Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified
by Laurie Glass

Have you ever heard of EDNOS - Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified? Are you confused about your own signs and symptoms and whether you have an eating disorder or not since your food related behaviors do not seem to match the criteria of either anorexia or bulimia? Know that you are wise to be concerned and that there is an eating disorder diagnosis that may fit what you are experiencing. I will share with you some of the common personal issues, symptoms and health problems with EDNOS as well as some encouragement for recovery if you are dealing with this particular eating disorder.

Some personal issues associated with EDNOS include resorting to food-related behaviors to deal with stress in your life, feeling your life is out of control, having issues in your life that you're afraid to address, and feeling hesitant to approach God about the matter because you feel guilty. While only a professional can diagnose you, if any of these things are true for you, please read further. You may have EDNOS or the precursors to EDNOS Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified.

Someone may be diagnosed with EDNOS when he or she engages in food-related behaviors associated with anorexia or bulimia, but does not meet enough criteria to be diagnosed with either one. Although this is not a comprehensive list, here are some of the common signs and symptoms of EDNOS.

Obsession with weight and body image
Restricting food intake
Taking diet pills, laxatives or diuretics
Exercising excessively
Chewing food, but spitting it out
Purging without having binged

You need not have every sign and symptom in order for you to have EDNOS. Any combination of these signs and symptoms can result in serious consequences. Here are some health problems that can occur as a result of EDNOS.

Body aches
Hormonal imbalance
Heart palpitations
Weakness, fatigue and dizziness
Irritable bowel syndrome
Metabolism changes

EDNOS can even be fatal. If you have any concerns, please reach out for help. EDNOS need not become life threatening.

If you have EDNOS, know that you can break free of it and God can bless you with a life better than you could imagine. Here are some things to consider as you allow Him to lead your recovery.

EDNOS may be difficult to fight, but you can walk free of it. "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed" (II Cor. 4:8).

You have access to God's power while you work through this difficult challenge, and His power is beyond what you can even imagine. "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us" (Eph. 3:20).

When you feel guilty over what you have done, cling to the promise of God's forgiveness. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (I John 1:9).

Go to the Lord first with all of your needs while you battle EDNOS. He will be with you, loving you, leading you and healing you every step of the way. To invite Him to lead your recovery, perhaps you would like to say this prayer or one like it in your own words.

Dear Lord,

I feel confused about my food-related behaviors, but I know they aren't right. Will You forgive me? I know I can't fight EDNOS alone, and I ask that You lead me to the treatment and support I need. Please help me resist the temptation to engage in food-related behaviors and reach to You instead. Please walk with me and strengthen me while I battle this eating disorder. Thank You for loving me and for the life You have waiting for me once I work through the underlying issues and leave this eating disorder behind me.

In Jesus' name,
Amen.

Laurie Glass has a Master of Ministry degree in Christian Counseling and is the author of Journey to Freedom from Eating Disorders.  She is a recovered anorexic who offers online Christian counseling services to adult women with eating disorders. See her website at http://freedomfromed.com/.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print