Binge Eating Disorder
by Laurie Glass

Are you familiar with binge eating disorder? Do you think you may have it yourself? Read on to learn some of the common personal issues, symptoms and health problems of binge eating disorder. You will also find encouragement for recovery if you are dealing with this difficult eating disorder.

Some common personal issues associated with binge eating disorder include eating uncontrollably, looking to food for comfort or other emotional satisfaction, feeling it is impossible to limit your food intake, and finding it difficult to identify and express emotions in healthy ways. While only a professional can diagnose you, if any of these things are true for you, please keep reading. You may have binge eating disorder or the precursors to binge eating disorder.

Although there can be more to this eating disorder, here are some common signs and symptoms of binge eating disorder.

Eating large amounts of food
Eating when not hungry
Eating rapidly
Eating until uncomfortably full
Eating excessively without resorting to purging type behaviors
Hoarding food

Binge eating disorder can bring on serious consequences. Here are some health problems that binge eating disorder can cause.

Diabetes
Upper respiratory problems
Stroke
High blood pressure
Obesity
High cholesterol

Left unaddressed, binge eating disorder can also cause organ failure and can even be fatal. If you have binge eating disorder, please get help. Your life may be at stake.

You do not have to face binge eating disorder alone. If you would like to consider inviting the Lord to lead your recovery, please keep the following principles in mind.

Know that your eating disorder does not have to destroy you. With God at your side, you can be saved from its destruction. "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior" (Isa. 43:2).

While you are working through the underlying issues, know that you can cling to the Lord and He will steady you during the challenging times. "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken" (Ps. 62:1-2).

Keep your eyes on the Lord, and He will help you persevere during the weary moments as you fight this eating disorder. "...let us throw off everything that hinders the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Heb. 12:1b,2).

Look to the Lord in every step you take to break free of binge eating disorder. He is waiting to hear from you and stands ready to strengthen you in every way as you battle your eating disorder. To invite Him to lead your journey, perhaps you would like to say this prayer or one like it in your own words.

Dear Lord,

Will you forgive me for what I've done to the body You've given me? Please lead me to the treatment, support and accountability I need. I need Your help in working through what draws me to binge and to replace this behavior with healthy coping skills. I know You have a better way of life in mind for me, and I thank You for that. With You at my side, I know that one day I will enjoy freedom from this disorder and be even closer to You.

In Jesus' name,
Amen.

Laurie Glass has a Master of Ministry degree in Christian Counseling and is the author of Journey to Freedom from Eating Disorders.  She is a recovered anorexic who offers online Christian counseling services to adult women with eating disorders. See her website at http://freedomfromed.com/.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print