Where Does Your Mind Go When You Awaken?
by Marijo Phelps

What is the very first thing you think about when you start coming into that foggy, half asleep, half awake state in the morning? Do you fumble for the snooze alarm, turn over and pull the covers over your head? Are you the person who starts mentally "running your list" of things you need to do that day or one who says "coffee, I can't function until I have my coffee."

Maybe we should consider reflecting on God's plan for our day. I do. every once in awhile. I know that should probably be my first thought in the morning, turning my thoughts and heart towards my Lord. Many times I am mentally running my list or getting carried away with the moment. Who is meowing so loudly? Why did Mick let those cats in here? They have their dry food out there. Up go the covers over my head.

I am retired now, I should be able to sleep in past 5 AM you'd think. This morning I was "up" at 4:40 AM, not because the sun was rising as it was a long way off yet. The bathroom was calling my name, then I couldn't get back to sleep. Bobby jumped on my fingers, I must have wiggled. Ouch, where did that claw come from? I turned over and Hooney stuck a whisker in my nose. Why did Mick let them in here?

If I am not careful I can become like a ping pong ball bouncing here and there either mentally or literally around the house. Cats calling for their breakfast, wash needing to go into the washer, stick my finger to see what my fasting blood sugar is, oops, need to check the blood pressure. Being a retired RN is difficult when you are now your only patient.

Those days when my first thoughts turn to the Lord thanking Him for one more day and asking Him to order my day, not my list but His, well, those days always seem to go so much better. It isn't just my imagination. My prayer would be that calling upon the Lord would be a first in the morning, everyday occurrence. I have heard Him whisper about this, too, in my heart:

My Child, you are my delight, I long to spend time with you. Seek Me early and seek Me late I will lead and guide you in the ways everlasting.

In Psalm 139:24 we are encouraged to ask the Lord if there is any wicked way in us and ask Him to lead us in the way everlasting.

He will lead us if we ask. That is a comfort and a reality, what a promise that one is!

In Habakkuk 3:6 we are reminded much about the Lord and His permanence "He stood and measured the earth; He looked and startled the nations. And the everlasting mountains were scattered, The perpetual hills bowed. His ways are everlasting." (NKJV)

He is stability. He has a plan for me even today. He is my rock. I do need to go to Him first and last each day. How about you?

Prayer: My dear Jesus, my spirit is willing and then there is my flesh. Please help me not to "fritter" away the hours that you have given to me each day. Help me to begin and end each day with my Alpha and Omega to sit in your lap, hear your voice and actually rest in you! AMEN

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print