How Can You Be Your Own Potter When You Are the Clay?
by Marijo Phelps

From the time we begin talking we are saying things like "NO! I do it myself!" In some cases this is good. It is how that toddler learns life skills and a measure of independence necessary to "grow up" in life. In other areas we'd probably do much better allowing Someone who is older, wiser and our Creator to call more of the shots.
With the first word the Lord whispered in my ears He was teaching and summing things us. That word was "child":

Child, listen and I will direct. Keep the ears of your spirit open, seek My face and you shall hear My voice. I AM that you might become. You are growing up in my strength/power and your yieldedness. Seek not to be your own potter but relax in Me and My Word. I shall raise you up in My time and for My purpose. Selah.

What a graphic picture "seeing" the potter's wheel, that gray lump of clay and being admonished not to try to be my own potter. We can chuckle but in many cases it is an apt illustration, isn't it? How can the clay be the potter? How can the paper write the story? How can a watch be put together without a watch maker? But that doesn't keep us from trying, does it?

Job 15:8 sums it all up by asking two questions "Do you listen in on God's council? Do you limit wisdom to yourself? (NIV)

In Psalm 78:1 we are implored by God to hear His teaching and to listen to the words of Him mouth.
We who have so much to learn and to think the Creator of the Universe has time and wants to teach us.

1 Chronicles 16:11is encouraging us about seeking God:

Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. (NIV)

In 2 Chronicles 7:14 we are challenged as a people of God and as a nation by these words:
"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." (NIV)

This scripture really speaks to us. Isn't this a time when our nation can use the healing hand of Almighty God?

Jeremiah 16:19 encourages us to think of times gone by and learn from them: "O LORD, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress, to you the nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Our fathers possessed nothing but false gods, worthless idols that did them no good." (NIV)

Psalm 113:7 has a wonderful promise that we can grab a hold of:

"He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap "(NIV)

Prayer: My dear Jesus, you are SO able and I am so not..please give me ears tuned in to and listening and learning from Your Word, daily. Help me to grow strong with the watering from Your Word. Thank You that you take time, make time and love us AMEN.

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print