Huh, did you really say what I think I heard?
by Betty Overstreet

I finally figured it out. My husband is not purposely ignoring me. He can't hear what I say.

That is right. He really can't hear me about half of the time and is oblivious to the fact that he is ignoring me.

The other day I said, " Honey, I am going outside." Pretty soon he walked to where I was out in the yard and asked, " Are you ready to go?" I said, "Where are we going" and he replied, "Didn't you say you wanted to go for a ride?"

Other times when I start talking to him he just walks away, mid sentence.

He always talks in a regular voice, same volume as anyone, and so I forget that he has a problem. He never asks me to repeat anything. I believe he just thinks about what it sounds like I'm saying and responds to what he thinks I said.

If I were less patient and understanding, this could really cause problems. It is very easy to become angry with someone who ignores what we are saying unless we realize what is happening.

I recently asked Gary something pretty important as he was walking away and he just kept walking. I said, in an elevated voice, "Gary, did you hear me?" When he turned and replied, "No", I said, "Are you hard of hearing? Is it really so bad you can't hear when I speak"? He said, "Yes, I have 65% in one ear and 85% in the other. It was caused by shooting my gun when I was in the Army".

I had totally forgotten because he covers up the problem most of the time. From now on, I am going to try to remember to stay on his good side when we are talking. Also, when we are in bed at night because I now realize that I sleep on the side of the bed by his bad ear. I certainly want him to be aware when I am whispering sweet nothings in his ear at nighttime!!

Of course, I did suggest perhaps he needs to speak to the Doctor about getting a hearing aide but he just said, ' I thought that bill was already paid".

I just raised my eyes to the heavens and said, " Please continue to give me patience and understanding Lord!."

Betty Alawine Overstreet is one of "God's Gals" according to her Internet Magazine, "Inspirational Moments".  Betty lives in Northern California with her husband Gary . He is her partner in their music ministry providing Old Time Gospel for Church events.  www,bettyoverstreet.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print