Together Once More
by PamFord Davis

Thanksgiving morning begins with memories of Dad. He opened the door to the formal entrance to our house used only for storage. There he retrieved the turkey from the frigid room, and carried it to Mom in the kitchen.

Another day's formal meal preparation would begin. The oven door would open and close for hours as Mom basted and checked a turkey large enough for our family of seven.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Parade drew the attention of not only the Ford children, but Mom as well. She worked her way from the kitchen to living room for frequent peaks at the only television in the house. Sounds of fire engine sirens and marching bands filled the air as the aroma of turkey made me anxious for dinner.

The time finally arrived. We gathered around the informal kitchen table made festive only on holiday observances and waited for Dad to lead in grace. Then we filled our plates with white or dark turkey, mashed potatoes swimming in gravy, turnips or parsnips, squash, green beans, jellied cranberries, and hot buttered rolls. It could not be better, or could it?

Fresh baked pies, prepared the day before made the day complete. Variety of tastes led to a selection including cherry, mincemeat, and pumpkin. My favorite then and now is pumpkin. A few years ago, I learned that of all pies, pumpkin is the most healthy choice. I realize that dollops of whipped cream or scoops of ice cream may nullify the benefits, but it does ease the guilt! Thanksgiving is a time of mingled memories with family and friends. In my thoughts, we are all together once more.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print