Lost Coin, Odd Coin A Super Bible School Activity for Your Elementary Kids
by Kathy Vincent

I don't think a person exists anywhere on earth that hasn't lost something at one time or another. Losing something or someone really important can be especially horrible and stressful. Luke 2:14 says this: "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." Each of us must be incredibly important to God if He sent His Son to this world to find us. And indeed we are. He loves us more than we can ever imagine. Luke 2:14 is an important Bible verse for your children to memorize and here is a fun Bible school activity based on the parable of the lost coin. It's called "Lost Coin, Odd Coin" and is based on the old classic "Odd Bean."

Here's what you do:
For this activity you will need a bag of 10 pennies for each player. The bag should be dark so that the pennies can't be seen. You are now ready to play this activity.

Now, say the following:
The parable of the lost coin is about a woman who has lost 10 very important coins. Some scholars say that these coins would have been part of her wedding dowry. Or compared to today, it would be as if she had lost her wedding ring. Let's read the story of this parable together. (At this point, share the parable found in Luke 15:8-10 or another version you know and trust.) Wow! Did you see how diligent the woman was at searching for her lost coins? It is a perfect picture of how serious God is when looking for those who are lost in this world and caught up in sin. Luke 2:14 says, "For the Son of man came to seek and to save what was lost." This is our memory verse today and we are going to learn it by playing "Lost Coin, Odd Coin."

At this point, have all your children sit in a circle. Give each player a bag filled with his or her coins. The first player hides a number of coins in one fist and asks the next player, "Odd or evens?" If the next player correctly guesses whether the fist holds an odd or even number of coins, he or she collects those coins from the first player. But before doing so, he must say Luke 2:14 correctly. If he does, he will earn 50 points. If the guess is wrong, the second player must forfeit the same number of coins to the first player. The second player then places a number of coins in his or her hand. He or she turns to the third player and asks, "Odds or evens?" and the game continues around the circle. If a player loses all his coins, he can regain a replenished bag of coins by saying Luke 2:14, and can then reenter the game. The player who says the verse the most, is the winner.

Kathy Vincent is the director of the children's ministry, "The Scripture Lady." For over 2 decades, she has creatively shared the Bible to thousands of children through toe-tapping Bible songs, engaging Bible review games and captivating object lessons that all point to Jesus! 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print