When A Christian Sins
by Robert Driskell

In 1 John 1:1-7, John establishes himself as an eyewitness to the life of Jesus, the absolute holiness of God, and the fact that if we are living in unholiness we have no fellowship with Him. John then encourages us to seek to live according to God's will so that our lives match our testimony.

First John 1:8-10 tells us that none of us are sinless. Even though we are saved, we still are not able to live a perfect life in which we do not commit sin in either action, word, or thought. These verses encourage us to be honest with God about our shortcomings. He knows about them anyway.

There is great spiritual danger that we would become arrogant and consider ourselves better than others if we believe we have attained a sinless state. We could start to feel sufficient in our own right, not count on the sustaining relationship with Jesus, and even wander away from Him and into a life of unrestrained sinfulness.

We must realize and admit that we do still sometimes sin. John says that this is a fact. That is the bad news.

The good news is that God is ready and waiting for us to confess our sin to Him so that He can, "forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (v. 9 HCSB)

Then, in case we have forgotten, John reiterates that, if we deny that we sin, we are in effect calling God a liar and are not submitting to His Word. We are deemed liars and rebels by a holy God.

John does not want to give the idea that it is hopeless to resist sin, so he begins chapter two by stating that his reason for writing is so that we NOT sin. Out of our love and gratitude for all that God has done, and is doing, we strive to live a life that is pleasing to Him. That should be our desire.

However, John assures us that, even when we fail, God has provided forgiveness for us in the person and work of Jesus Christ. No matter how hopeless or ashamed we may feel after committing some sin, God is ready to forgive us. All He is waiting for is for us to confess we have sinned, repent of that sin, and turn to Him. Jesus' life, death, and resurrection paid the price for our forgiveness.

This section ends with the promise of God's forgiveness of our sins if we turn to Him. John also reminds us that Jesus did not just die for our sins, but for the sins of the whole world. We must remember that we are to share His love and the offer of salvation with everyone we can.


(C) 2010 Robert Driskell

Seeking to introduce people to Jesus Christ and to help them become "transformed by the renewing of their mind."

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print