Route of the Israelites Exodus from Egypt
by Robert Randle

In popular made-for-television movies about the Exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt, there is an innumerable sea of humanity, not to mention livestock and personal possessions of the Hebrew tribal clans as one massive and orderly emigration, but is this necessarily the case. There are a few things to consider, namely the total possible number of people, at least 600, 350 men age 20 and above (Cp. Numbers 1: 45-46), which just might not support Anthropological and Archaeological research of that time period. Also, if this were the case, then there could be well over a million people involved in this flight from Egypt and it would have taken significant resources to support these people; let alone other people living in Egypt or the surrounding areas.

And it must not be overlooked that a "mixed" multitude went out from the land of Egypt (Cp. Exodus 13: 38) and doubtless there was not one homogenous group that departed and it is entirely possible because of their sheer numbers that they left in stages, instead of all at once. In reading the narratives about the 'Exodus' it would appear that not everyone assembled or camped at the same place, or at the same time, which would make sense if indeed, such a large group traveled together because the land might not have been able to provide for everyone's needs at the same time. Of course, this does not deny the power of God to miraculously provide for all of them, no matter how great the numbers were. Since Jesus [Yeshua] fed over 5,000 people with five barley loaves and two fish (Cp. Matthew 14: 14-21), then nothing is too hard or impossible for the LORD (Cp. Genesis 18: 14a).

Numbers 33: 2b
These are their journeys according to their starting points. They departed from Rameses in the first month on the fifteenth day of the month; on the day after the Passover, the children of Israel went out.

NOTE: It appears they didn't start out from Goshen.

33: 5-6
Then the children of Israel moved from Rameses and camped at Succoth. They departed from Succoth and camped at Etham, which is on the edge of the Wilderness.

Exodus 13: 20
So they took their journey from Succoth and camped in Etham at the edge of the wilderness.

Numbers 33: 7
They moved from Etham and turned back to Pi Hashiroth, which is east of Baal Zephon; and they camped near Migdol.

Exodus 13: 17a
Then it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God did not lead them by the way of the land of the Philistines.

NOTE: Isn't Migdol along the route to the Land of the Philistines?

Exodus 13: 18a
So God led the people around the way of the wilderness of the Red Sea [Sea of Reeds].

*Exodus 14: 1-2, 9b*
Now the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: "Speak to the children of Israel, that they turn and camp before Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea [Red Sea or Sea of Reeds??], opposite Baal Zephon; you shall camp before it by the sea.

Numbers 33: 8
They departed from Pi Harioth and passed through the midst of the sea [Red Sea or Sea of Reeds??] into the wilderness of Etham, and camped at Marah.

33: 9a
They moved from Marah and came to Elim (Cp. Exodus 15: 27a).

33: 10
They moved from Elim and camped by the Red Sea [Sea of Reeds].

*Exodus 15: 22a*
And Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea [Sea of Reeds??], and then they went out into the Wilderness of Shur (Cp. Genesis 20: 1).

Exodus 16: 1
And they journeyed fro Elim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came to the Wilderness of Sin ("Kadesh" Cp. Genesis 33: 36), which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they departed from the land of Egypt.

Numbers 33: 11
They moved from the Red Sea [Sea of Reeds] and camped in the Wilderness of Sin ("Kadesh" Cp. Genesis 33: 36).

33: 12
They journeyed from the Wilderness of Sin and camped at Dophkah.

33: 13
They departed from Dophkah and camped at Alush.

33: 14a
They moved from Alush and camped at Rephidim.

Exodus 17: 1
Then all the congregation of the children of Israel set out on their journey from the Wilderness of Sin, according to the commandment of the LORD, and camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink.

Numbers 33: 15
They departed from Rephidim (Cp. Exodus 19: 2) and camped in the Wilderness of Sinai.

Exodus 19: 2
For they had departed from Rephidim, came to the Wilderness of Sinai, and camped in the wilderness. So Israel camped there before the mountain [of Sinai].

*Numbers 11: 35*
From Kibroth Hattaavah the people moved to Hazeroth, and camped at Hazeroth.

NOTE: Kibroth Hattaavah must have been one of the towns or villages located in the vicinity of the Wilderness of Sinai.

Numbers 33: 16
They moved from the Wilderness of Sinai and camped at Kibroth Hattaavah.

33: 17
They departed from Kibroth Hattaavah and camped at Hazeroth.

33: 18
They departed from Hazeroth and camped at Rithmah.

33: 18
They departed from Hazeroth and camped at Rithmah.

33: 19
They departed from from Rithmah and camped at Rimmon Perez.

33: 20
They departed from Rimmon Perez and camped at Libnah.

33: 21
They moved from Libnah and camped at Rissah.

33: 22
They journey from Rissah and camped at Kehelathah.

33: 23
And they went from Kehelathah and camped at Mount Shepher.

33: 24
And they moved from Mount Shepher and camped at Haradah.

33: 25
And they moved from Hadarah and camped at Makheloth.

33: 26
And they moved from Makheloth and camped at Tahath.

33: 27
And they departed from Tahath and camped at Terah.


Numbers 33: 28
And they moved from Terah and camped at Mithkah.

33: 29
They went from Mithkah and camped at Hashmonah.

33: 30
They departed from Hashmonah and camped at Moseroth.

33: 31
They departed from Moseroth and camped at Bene Jaakan.

*Deuteronomy 10: 6-7*
(Now the children of Israel journeyed from the wells of Bene Jaakan to Moserah [Moseroth??], where Aaron died, and where he was buried; and Eleazar his son ministered as priest in his stead. From there they journeyed to Gudgodah, from Gudgodah to Jotbathah, a land of rivers [brooks] of waters).

NOTE: According to Numbers 20: 23, 25, 28a, Aaron died and was buried on the top of Mount Hor, which was at a later place from this area and not earlier as mentioned here.

Numbers 33: 32
They moved from Bene Jaakan and camped at Hor Hagidgad.

33: 33
They went from Hor Hagidgad and camped at Jotbathah.

33: 34
And they moved from Jotbathah and camped at Abronah.

33: 35
They departed from Abronah and camped at Ezion Geber.

33: 36
They moved from Ezion Geber and camped in the Wilderness of Zin, which is Kadesh {Barnea} [Cp. Genesis 14: 6-7a -Seir as far as El Paran by the wilderness, En Misphat (that is Kadesh {Barnea})]. SEE also Numbers 13: 26; 20: 1.

*Deuteronomy 1: 19*
So we (??) departed from Horeb, and went through that entire great and terrible wilderness which you saw on the way to the mountains of the Amorites, as the LORD our God had commanded us. Then we came to Kadesh Barnea.

*Numbers 13: 3a*
So Moses sent them from the Wilderness of Paran according to the command of the LORD.

13: 21
So they went up and spied out the land from the Wilderness of Zin as far as Rehob near the entrance of Hamath.

Numbers 13: 26a
Now they departed and came back to Moses and Aaron and all the congregation of the children of Israel in the wilderness of Paran at Kadesh.

Numbers 20: 1
Then the children of Israel, the whole congregation came into the Wilderness of Zin in the first month, and the people stayed in Kadesh; and Miriam died there and was buried there.

20: 22
Now the children of Israel, the whole congregation, journeyed from Kadesh and came to Mount Hor.

* Numbers 33: 37*
They moved from Kadesh {Barnea} and camped at Mount Hor, on the boundary of the land of Edom.

20: 23, 25, 28a
And the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron in Mount Hor by the border of the land of Edom, saying, "Take Aaron and Eleazar his son, and bring them up to Mount Hor; Moses stripped Aaron of his garments and put them on Eleazar his son; and Aaron died there on the top of the mountain.

21: 4
Then they journeyed from Mount Hor by the way of the Sea of Reeds [Red Sea], to go around the land of Edom.

21: 10
Now the children of Israel moved on [from Mount Hor] and camped in Oboth.

*Numbers 33: 41*
They departed from Mount Hor and camped at Zalmonah.

33: 42
They departed from Zalmonah and camped at Punon.

33: 43
And they departed from Punon and camped at Oboth.

*Numbers 21: 11*
And they journeyed from Oboth and camped at Ije Abarim, in the Wilderness which is east of Moab, toward the sunrise.

33: 44
They departed from Oboth and camped at Ije Abarim, at the border at of Moab (Cp. Numbers 21: 11).

33: 45
They departed from Ijim (Ije Abarim) and camped at Didon Gad.

*Numbers 21: 12, 13*
From there [Ije Abarim] they moved and camped in the Valley of Zered. From there they moved and camped on the other side of the Arnon; which is in the wilderness ["Zin"??] that extends from the border of the Amorites; for Arnon is the border of Moab, between Moab and the Amorites.

Numbers 33: 46
They moved from Dibon Gad and camped at Almon Diblathaim.

33: 47
They moved from Almon Diblathaim and camped in the mountains of Abarim, before [Mount] Nebo.

33: 48
They departed from the mountains of Abarim and camped in the plains of Moab by the Jordan [River], across the Jericho.

*Numbers 22: 1*
Then the children of Israel moved [from the other side of Arnon??], and camped in the plains of Moab on the side of the Jordan [River] across from Jericho.

*Deuteronomy 1: 1*
These are the words which Moses spoke to all Israel on this side of the Jordan in the wilderness [of Sinai], in the plain (Arabah) opposite Suph, between Paran, Tophel, Laban, Hazeroth, and Dizahab.

Numbers 33: 49
They camped by the Jordan [River], from Beth Jesimoth as far as the Abel Acacia Grove (Shittim) in the plains of Moab.

*Numbers 25: 1*
Now Israel remained at Acacia Grove (Shittim), and the people began to commit harlotry with the women of Moab.

Deuteronomy 34: 1a, 5-6
Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is across from Jericho. So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And He [HaShem] buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, opposite [east of??] Beth Peor (Cp. Deuteronomy 3: 29), but no one knows his grave to this day.

NOTE: Beth Peor is a place east of Jordan, opposite Jericho and six miles above Libias or Beth-Haran (Cp. Joshua 13: 20; Deuteronomy 4: 46).


Robert Randle
776 Commerce St. #B-11
Tacoma, WA 98402
December 20, 2010
[email protected]

[email protected]
http://choirboy51.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print