Gifts of the Wise Men
by PamFord Davis

Gift giving easily descends from fulfilling to frustrating as shoppers rush from store to store or Internet site to site, in search for perfect gifts for those they hold dear. If it is the thought that counts, why do we cloud our minds with dollar signs and disappointment in our choices?

Perfectionists feel pangs of guilt if they have lingering doubts about what to give each Christmas; what do they give to the person who seems to have everything? Some people are impossible to please, show no appreciation and yet we feel obligated to exchange gifts; it is the least we can do.

Wise men brought gifts to the King. How did they decide on the perfect gifts for royalty? "Entering the house, they saw the child with Mary His mother, and falling to their knees, they worshiped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh (Matthew 2:11 HCS)."

Gold is a gift worthy of a king; priests used frankincense as incense in temple worship. Mourners anointed the dead with myrrh; wise men know it is never too early to face the reality of the brevity of life.

The wise man Nicodemus also brought the gift of myrrh to Jesus. "Nicodemus (who had previously come to Him at night) also came, bringing a mixture of about 75 pounds of myrrh and aloes. Then they took Jesus' body and wrapped it in linen cloths with the aromatic spices, according to the burial custom of the Jews (John 19:39-40 HCS)."

Jesus opened his heart to truth: you must be born again. (John 3:3) He demonstrated his faith and worship through offerings of myrrh as his final act of service. Wise men give the greatest gift to the giver of gifts. They worship Him!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print