Taming The Tongue
by Marie Grossett

In James 3:1 -12 the word of God explains to us how important it is to tame the tongue. The tongue is described as unruly evil full of deadly poison. With it we bless God and with the same mouth we curse men.

The word tame means to soften. So why is this so important? Why is it that also in Ephesians 5:4 it tells us that 'Nor should there be any foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place but rather thanksgiving?'

Because words have an powerful effective in our lives and in people's lives. Words are powerful that's why we must always be cautious of what we say.

Mathew 12: 36 -37 says 'But I tell you that men will have to give an account on the day of judgement for every careless word they have spoken. For your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.'

The commentary that explains this goes, 'What we say reveals what is in our hearts. The kind of words that come from your mouth is an indication of what your heart is really like. You cannot solve your heart problems just by cleaning up your speech you must allow the Holy Spirit to fill you with new motives and attitudes then your speech will be cleansed.

Have you ever heard of a saying if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? Because what we say could either encourage or discourage someone that's why we must always have something positive to say to each other. Yes its good to rebuke if we know that one of us is doing something wrong, but as well as rebuking always remember it is good to have that balance of saying something positive to them. Proverbs 12:25 says 'An anxious heart weighs a man down but kind words cheers him up.' Proverbs 15:4 also says 'The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.'

What we confess out of our mouths can also hinder our prayers. You may be praying and your believing in God that what you are requesting for will come to past. A few months later you have not seen the results to your request so now you begin to doubt. You may say maybe this is not God's will for me to get this particular thing you're asking for.

Your blessing could be just around the corner but because you confess the negative out of your mouth it stops God from working because you allowed doubt to come in. And without faith it is impossible to please God. No matter how long your answer takes always confess I believe in God for this and it will happen in Jesus name keep believing and trusting.

Another reason why its important to tame the tongue, have you heard of saying your word is your bond? When making promises we must try not to break them because people hold you to your word. If you can't do something better to say 'no' than 'yes'. Numbers 30:2 Moses said to the heads of the tribes of Isreal: "This is what the Lord commands: When a man makes a vow to the Lord or takes an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he must not break his work but do everything he says'

Oaths or vows were common in the Old Testament. But in the New Testament Jesus said not to use them your word alone should be enough, Are you known as a person of your word? If we tell the truth all the time we will have less pressure to back it up with oaths or promises.

It is important to control the tongue especially those closet to us like our husband/wife or, children. I know when arguments happen within the family our tongues will let loose. But it's important that what we do outside we do inside as ministry starts with our family. I'm not saying we can't get upset with one another because the Bible says you can get angry but do not sin in your anger. It is unhealthy to bottle things up but before you let your tongue loose surrender it to God first, pray then you can go and speak because at least you gain wisdom and you have allowed God to take control.

I know where not perfect we do get it wrong but do you know what makes perfect? Practice the more we do something the more we succumb and it just becomes part of everyday life.

So my brother and sisters let's learn to control the tongue this is something I myself is going to greatly be practising because it's important.
If we don't control the tongue this is what it can do.

An uncontrolled tongue can do terrible damage. Satan uses the tongue to divide people and pit them against one another. Idle and hateful words are damaging because they spread destruction quickly, and no one can stop the results once they are spoken. We dare not be careless with what we say thinking we can apologise later because even if we do the scars remain. A few words spoken in anger can destroy a relationship that took years to build. Before you speak, remember that words are like fire you can neither control nor reverse the damage that they do.

May God bless you this day thanks for reading.

Scriptures to ponder upon!
Proverbs 21: 23 'He who guards his mouth and his tongue keep himself from calamity

Proverbs 10 19-21 'When words are many sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.'

Marie Grossett aka Vanessa Grossett is a published Author, and has interviewed best selling and award winning Christian Authors.

She is a Literary Agent at The Authors Care Services ltd. www.theauthorscare.co.uk [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print