Soak in the Word of God
by Marijo Phelps

Back in the days of snail mail I can remember longing to hear the mailmans cart driving down our block, waiting with excitement that I might be getting a letter, from a boyfriend, from my sister or parents or good friend who no longer lived in the same city as I did. And the joy that was there as I ripped open those envelopes addressed to me. I also felt my stomach bottoming out when there was nothing but bills or advertizing in that clump of mail I grabbed from the box.

Well, the Creator of the Universe has written us a letter. Today I was reading an all scripture devotional and there was a paragraph about Jacob. I have been reading this devotional for over 30 years now with its dated pages. Yet today, January 3rd, when I read those scriptures about Jacob jump off the page for me. Why? Mick had called to say hed be home early because his work was slowing down. His boss is not getting enough signed contracts right now.

I prayed for work to pick up as I always do. In 2009 Mick was actually laid off for 4 months but somehow we managed even though our taxable income for that year was about a thousand above poverty level. God got us through and we didnt feel deprived either.

When Mick came to the Lord he felt impressed that he was like Jacob. All those Jacob scriptures have always had a very special meaning for him. So I am reading along in my scripture devotional. The scriptures are talking about Gods faithfulness to Jacob in a dry and weary place. Those words lit up and jump off the page as I read on about Gods faithfulness and provision. I was reassured that our Lord had seen Mick and me though many a tight spot, through scary issues with health and finances. Also, through to the other side, we have made it with our hands held tightly in Gods.

Those scriptures gave me a real peace in remembering Gods faithfulness and feeling that He was speaking to me today through those passages about Jacob.

I dont always read the Bible every day. This New Year I purposed to spend time in Gods Word each day. What would have happened if I hadnt been reading today? Would I have gotten more into panic mode about the budget and Micks lack of work? I might have forfeited that peace that I am now wearing like a warm and cozy garment had I not read.

My God is in control. He has numbered those hairs on my head and Micks that seem to wash down the drain every shower. Oops, there goes number 209. Yes, that seems sort of overkill, but the contrast is if he has named (numbered) each of our hairs then how much more is He concerned with every detail of our days and lives? He cares. He is able. He loves you and me incredibly more than we could even understand. How can we hear from Him? One way is to delve into His Word, that love letter written just for you and just for me, that testament with sentences which will literally jump off the page for you with encouragement, instructions and hope for today.

Can you hear Him whispering to your heart?

Daughter, read my Word, your answer is there in. My purpose is manifold. Walk forward in faith. I will direct and guide.

These scriptures speak of Gods faithfulness, our walk with Him and reading His Word. I hope they are an encouragement to you and a challenge. Soak in His Word.

Psalm 101:6
My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me. (NIV)

Romans 4:12
And he is also the father of the circumcised who not only are circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised. (NIV)

Deuteronomy 17:19
It is to be with him, and he is to read it all the days of his life so that he may learn to revere the LORD his God and follow carefully all the words of this law and these decrees. (NIV)

Acts 13:15
After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the synagogue rulers sent word to them, saying, "Brothers, if you have a message of encouragement for the people, please speak." (NIV)

Revelation 1:3
Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near. (NIV)

Prayer: Dear Lord our Savior, help us to number our days and realize that the time in indeed near. Give us Your boldness when it is time to speak and Your knowledge of when to be quiet. Thank you for Your Word and its incredible fullness. What love You have for us, what incredible love!

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print