Creationism in the Classroom
by Robert Driskell

Could we, should we, teach in our schools any other theory of the origin of the universe besides evolution? The theory of evolution has been taught as fact to the exclusion of any other theory. If any alternative was brought up in classroom discussion it is only to ridicule it, not to seriously debate its merits.

Let's be honest, there really is only one other theory for the origin of the universe, and ultimately humanity, besides evolutionand that is creation. Either the universe evolved by chance and accident or it was created by design with a purpose.

Science is based on observation of facts and is directed at finding patterns of order in the observed data. There is nothing about 'true science' that excludes the study of created objects and order. Furthermore, evolution cannot be observed or tested in a scientific laboratory any more than creation. (Henry M. Morris and Gary E. Parker, What is Creation Science. p. xiii Creation-Life Publishers, 1982)

Of course, no one is suggesting that we teach any certain religion in the classroom. Heaven forbid we would dare to venture close to violating the secular Golden Rule of "separation of church and state". But it would be nice to be able to discuss the alternative to evolution in a civilized manner in the classroom.

When we are faced with evidence which can be explained in two different ways, it seems most unscientific to withhold consideration of one of these ways, just because it does not fit one's ideas of how something should have happened. This narrow approach, however, is exactly what is expected of every student in most of our school systems today where evolution is presented as a fact that all but the stupid and unscientific accept unquestionably. Some books even go so far as to state that it would be unscientific to consider the other possibility. (Thomas F. Heinze, Creation vs. Evolution Handbook, p. 11, Baker Book House, 1973)

Instead of indoctrinating (brainwashing) our students into the "fact" of evolution, wouldn't it be better to allow them the option of using their critical thinking skills to decide for themselves the merits of the "other" possible origin of the universe?

If evolution is as clear and scientific as its proponents claim, then its truthfulness should be obvious to all. If not, then it is dishonest, and decidedly unscientific, to disallow the discussion of alternatives.

Seeking to introduce people to Jesus Christ and to help them become "transformed by the renewing of their mind."

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print