Getting Ready to Praise the Lord
by Marijo Phelps

What prevents praise? Have you ever thought about those times when you would think about praising God and then think of many reasons why you shouldn't?

One of the things which "prevents" praise is unconfessed sin. Sin whatever the sin is: repent and confess and ask the Lord to cleanse you. He will meet you there and forgive you making your sins "white as snow". When you are feeling fresh and clean then praise will, once again, flow freely.

Self Abasing pride prevents praise: renew your mind in the Word. Confessing the pride is good too as that is also sin. Actually, pride is what got satan "kicked out" of heaven. A most beautiful angel, leader of worship and music and guess what, the leader of praise until he decided he could become like the Most High. He has been trying to tempt us to be tripped up by the same thing ever since, pride. We need to nip this in the bud.

Problems our focus on problems rather than Jesus prevents praise: renew your mind in the Word. The Lord God is bigger than any problem we have. He is our healer, provider, deliverer, banner, covering, counselor. Books have been written just about the names of Jesus and what they mean to us. Can we trust Him? How can we not?

Wrong Concept of God our wrong concept prevents praise: Jesus=God=Jesus: renew your mind in the Word. Come, taste the Lord and see that He is good. He is able. He is our all in all. You can rest in that and praise will flow.

Fear opinion of others rather than what God thinks, rejection, ridicule prevents praise: renew your mind in the Word. Remember that we are "but dust". Satan accuses. Sometimes we can agree with him. Yep, I am weak but in my weakness God is made perfect. It is a wonderful partnership; God and me. I am lacking and He more than makes up for anything missing in me, alleluia!

Prayer is always appropriate. We are so blessed to have a Father that we can come to with ANYTHING. Try taking those things mentioned above; sin, self abasing, problems, wrong concepts of God and fear directly to Him who is able!

Praise puts God between you and your circumstances!! Praise involves a choice, an act of our will. Think of a cross. The vertical piece represents God's Word and His will. The horizontal piece represents our will. Our will appeals to our intellect, reasoning and our flesh. We need to surrender our will to Jesus. Surrender daily, probably or even more often that that!

Yielding our will becomes a sacrifice of worship and we are free to praise!

Psalm 9:1
[ To the Chief Musician. To the tune of "Death of the Son." A Psalm of David. ] I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works. (NKJV)

Psalm 9:2
I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High. (NKJV)

Psalm 54:6
I will freely sacrifice to You;I will praise Your name, O LORD, for it is good. (NKJV)

Prayer: Lord Jesus, please help me to get ME out of the way so I can freely and clearly praise and worship You. You alone are worthy and You alone are able to keep this captive captivated only by You! AMEN

This was written in February 2011 partially from notes taken by Marijo Phelps in May of 1980 Virginia Parks speaker Women's Aglow Fellowship in Modesto California.

My blog is: http://myincrediblelord.blogspot.com/

(C) Marijo Phelps all rights reserved. Use with proper credits.

About Self 
 
Saved by His grace in 1974, from 9 years of professing atheism into His loving arms. RN for 23 years, missionary with YWAM then statistical analyst for Every Home for Christ over 9 years. Living with my husband in the middle of a mountain meadow. GRIN! Wanting to spread the good news

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print