Inspired by Camels
by Louise Lee

Have you seen a camel before? Do you have words to describe them? You may probably have words like strong, useful, enduring and even cool. But do you know camels have temper, too. They are by nature ill tempered, intricate and at times dangerous. They were not as what you see them today.

What happened to them? What had caused them to change?

Some 3,500 years ago, desert people discovered that camels could be very good helpers for them because of their unique abilities.

They could travel as many as 161 kilometers without water. It doesnt mean that they do not need water. Actually camels do not function well without water. A thirsty camel can drink up as many as 135 liters of water in about 13 minutes. Their ability to retain their body moisture has helped them in the desert conditions.

They stand about 2.1 meters tall at the hump and weigh 726 to 816 kilograms. Over a four-day period a camel can haul 170 to 270 kilograms at rates of 47 kilometers a day and 4 kilometers in an hour.

People started to dream of using them as a mean of transportation. However, because of its wild nature, camels are dangerous. In order to make them helpful, people have to capture and tame the camels first. To tame an animal means to remove its wild nature or to train them to obey peoples command. Camels are different from you and I; their newborns walk within a few hours of birth. And their trainings start as early as one year old. Most camels can serve their master up to 50 years.

Today, camels are very popular especially in the lands to the south and east of Palestine. They are widely used as a mean of transportation. They are like our cars today.

Besides all these, camels have also become treasured possessions of the Jewish people in Bible times. Some desert people measure wealth by the number of camels a person owns. Camel hair can be used to make clothing and blankets, dried camel droppings fuel fires. For Mongolians, camel milk and meat are their delights. Camel hides were used to make shoes and saddles.

They have become human's very helpful companions and useful in many ways. What had happened to the temperamental ones? Do you know? They have learned to yield and obey their masters. By yielding, they were being changed from a useless wild camel to a priceless treasure. Aren't you inspired by them? Yield to the Master of life, you will see the difference He makes.

Louise Lee
www.louiseleewrites.com
(My first illustrated book Psalm 23 for Kids is now available at amazon.com)
http://www.amazon.com/Psalm-23-Kids-Louise-Lee/dp/1482829975

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print