1 Peter 1:14
by Don Costello



As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

1. "As obedient children"

a. obedient [5218 * hypakoe] [Thayer: obedience, compliance, submission, obedience rendered to anyone's counsels, an obedience shown in observing the requirements of Christianity.

b. Here is the sum for the purpose of the grace given to us, obedience. Just as the goal for meditation in Joshua is to "observe to do", the purpose for grace is obedience.

2. "not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance."

a. fashioning [4964 * syschematizo] [Thayer: to conform one's self (i.e. one's mind and character) to another's pattern, (fashion one's self according to). [Zodhiates: To fashion alike, conform to the same pattern outwardly.]

b. This Greek word is where we get the English word, schematic- a structural or procedural diagram. It is a diagram or directions on how to build something. This same word is used in Romans by Paul.

1). Romans 12 2 "Be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of you mind"

2). The exhortation could not be more clear, do not fashion yourselves, do not conform yourselves to the wrong pattern. The wrong pattern is the world' s pattern, it is as the rest of 1 Peter 1:14 declares, "according to the former lust" The wrong pattern is walking after the desires of the flesh, and the word of grace teaches otherwise.

a). Titus 2:11, 12 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

c. We are to fashion ourselves, conform ourselves to righteous and godly living. It is our responsibility to change our behavior from evil to righteous because God has given us the divine power, the grace to do it.

d. Formerly we fashioned or conformed ourselves according to the pattern of our fleshly desires, but we did so in ignorance because we did not know any better.

1). ignorance [52 * agnoia] [Thayer: lack of knowledge, ignorance, esp. of divine things, of moral blindness.

2). We are no longer ignorant, not only do we have a new pattern to follow but we have been given the grace the divine power to be obedient to this new pattern and in the next two verses Peter tells us what that pattern is.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print